AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by terrulian » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:03 pm

OK, I get the logic now.
As you can see in the photo below, the tiller on my Catalina 22 is attached to the rudder with the metal flanges only. Although this photo shows the tiller I made, it is a copy of the original equipment (but nicer, I'd like to think); so your design is not uncommon. I kind of doubt you'll break it but I was out once in my boat in 30+ knots with following seas and I thought mine would fail. :help:

Tony

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi Tony,
The recess on my tiller makes it as narrow as the rudder and so it will be mounted like your Cattalina 22 tiller which I think looks really nice. Mine has got the same plywood all thru so I will not reach the beautiful stripe effect you got out of real wood but on the other side I will also not ever have storms or following seas so there might be a good chance the tiller wont break when I sail on the beautiful lakes in my vicinity. I will have lots of use of my electric outboard because of lack of wind. But that is a future story. Tomorrow I give the tiller the first coat of epoxy just not to overdo my work effort until after New Years Eve.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:08 am

gonandkarl wrote:Hi,

Fuzz if I had a workshop like yours which is as big as the hall of the Spanish Horse riding School in Vienna I would also not drag things inside. You even mentioned that your workshop in Alaska is heated. How do you heat such a big workshop with coal or diesel or some municipal hot water supply?
Greetings from Karl
Karl, first happy new year to you and your family. I hope you are able to do sailing this coming summer :D
As for the shop. I heat it with diesel. I live 16 miles from the closest town so that is my only option. I only use most of my shop for dry storage so I am able to keep most of it partitioned off and only heat a small area. Heating the whole thing would take too big of a bite out of the boat building budget.
Fuzz

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:24 am

Hi Fuzz,
I did not know that you are miles away I imagine sort of in the middle of nowhere. That must be nice not to have a crowd running past your house on the side walk from morning till night like in my case.
Now that I had a good look at the Spanish Horse Riding School hall I must admit their hall is bigger than your workshop but also nice to look at.
If we were to build our boats in that hall we could even ask entrance fee from the spectators on the gallery.
Greetings from Karl

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:29 am

Well if we get a few more builders I think we could fill up that place with spectators :lol:
I do love living out of town and not having to worry with strangers.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:53 pm

I used 3 of the pin mounts to hang the rudder so i can rase it up and use the top 2 when in shallow water or launching the boat then i can move it down and use all 3 when the water is deep enough

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:32 am

Hi George,
This is exactly how I did it and I tested the rudder on the transom already in the down and up position. I think it will help sailing away from a shallow beach. Right now I dont feel like doing a lot for the boat because the weather is so cold and it is freezing permanently. That is why I go most afternoons Eisstockschießen with some other CLOOF s on a frozen pond. It is like bowling on ice and it is done with a heavy pear wood thing like this:
Hope to bring more boat building progrees pictures soon.
Greetings from Karl

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:20 am

Cloof?
Tony

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:28 am

Funny, that same word also exist in the local dialect of Brussels. Karl's wife speaks Dutch, that may be where he got it.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:51 am

Hi,
It seems to be a German word also used In Belgium but it is also called Bavarian Curling. It is the Wintersport for Austrians at or over the pension age and that is why I used the all too funny letters CLOOF which originate from our Australian friend glossieblack and he disclosed its meaning when Fuzz reacted like you Tony. ( Clapped Out Old Fart ) My wife killed herself laughing when I told her what an over 70 year old boat builder can also be called.
Greetings from Karl