AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by gonandkarl » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:30 am

Hi,
This clever idea comes from the AD14 plan of Jacques the designer and for using the holes to get out of the water over the transom I think it can work for a bit lighter chap than me. When I started building the boat I misread lightning holes and understood that in a thunderstorm the flash of the lightning can pass through this holes. The rudder is a bit lighter with these 2 holes and in an emergency even I would get out of the water with them by gripping first the bottom and then the top hole and then the transom and the push pit and as I cannot pull myself up with the arms any more the right foot in the bottom hole could help. I will try it out this summer when the Attersee lake will have a temperature more than 24 deg Celsius. In the meantime there is some more building to do.
Greetings from Karl

All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:14 pm

gonandkarl wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:30 am
Hi,
When I started building the boat I misread lightning holes and understood that in a thunderstorm the flash of the lightning can pass through this holes.
Greetings from Karl

Clever folks you Austrians are. Training your lightning to jump through hoops :lol: :lol:

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Just good to see you back at Karl!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:03 pm

Hi,
Today I mounted the skeg on the boat and because it is still freezing around here I wanted to plant a fan heater exactly in front of the skeg to get the 20 degree celsius temperature for the epoxy wood glue. As this heater switches off when it is not standing on a flat surface I glued the switch with packing tape at the bottom so that I could hang it from the top of a step ladder to be near the skeg and as necessity is the mother of inventions I used a Wine from South Africa box to cover the skeg and let the blower heat its inside. It is not really worth taking a picture of it, but rather than watching Gravity together with my wife on TV I did go out to the shed to check the temperature around my skeg and took some pictures. It looks as if it is working alright, therefore I am planning to glue a biax tape on each side of the skeg and the bottom tomorrow morning so to say wet on wet because only 12 hours will pass. My keelshoe is waiting also some time already to be glued to the bottom and I think if I put a 170 cm long cardboard tunnel box over it I could also heat it the same way as with the skeg, maybe with just a small vent on the end opposite where the fan heater is blowing into the tunnel.

Even that we finished the wine from South Africa a while ago the box had a second use:

And here is the skeg inside the box with a thermometer at the end where I achieve a temperature between 16 and 23 celsius:

Greetings from Karl

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Great idea!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:12 pm

Really good idea Karl. It is amazing what folks come up with to keep going. As they say where this is a will there is a way :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:27 pm

Karl, great idea!! Hope it warms up for you soon!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:43 pm

Greetings Karl, is it getting close so Springtime temperatures?
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:28 am

Hi,
Yes the temperature is slowly rising and therefore I will glue my keel shoe within the next few days to the bottom with a heated cardboard tunnel over it for 36 hours and I hope to have the underside of the benches the support plywood pads for 3 cleats and the and 6 support plywood pads for the 2 pushpits mounted on the inside of the boat by the end of March.
Greetings from Karl

cape man

Post by cape man » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Karl,

Good to see you are still at it even if you have to get as creative as the box heater to do something.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman