AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by gonandkarl » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:43 pm

Will do, we are in regular contact and he still teaches me a lot about boat building. Lately more about sailing an Adelie as he is already on his fourth set of sails and I am glad I built such a nice boat and am looking forward to move it leisurely over the Traunsee where the splashing will take place.

All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:16 pm

That strap idea will work the next thing is how you hold it up while in transport behind your car. I have a pin I slide through booth the keel box and the keel to hold it up after the first few years I found that hole through the keel box was going out of round dew to the wood being worne away. I solved that by putting a brass sleve trough booth the keel box and the keel once the flass had set up i used a hack saw blade to cut that tube on booth sides of the keel inside of the box then i was able to lower the keel and clean up the inside of the keel box with a file. The result is the brass dose not ware out but the keel stays up during transport it works well easy to do now while you are still at this stage. I can send you pictures if you want just let me know.

Bogieman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:48 am

Karl,

I'm curious to know how Bondo installed that pin at the top of the centerboard...Maybe it was bedded / recessed in the middle board before the other two boards were glued and glassed together?

Bogie

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:26 pm

I think he had some way to winch it up and down and a bord with a slot in it to slide over the rope he used to pull it up and lower it there was a not in the cable that would hang up on that cable. The problem I had was the pin waring the hole oblong in the sides of the keel box from viberation during transet on the highway.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:34 am

Hi,
Yes Bogie he glued the stainless pin in the middle board of the centreboard and he holds the board in the up position with a pin on the top right hand side of the trunk on deck and if you look along the strap there is a knot and another loop behind it to a black plastic ball and this loop he uses to pull the board up and down. I got the idea of the knots from him for positioning the board in the 3 positions up, halfway and completely down except that I will be using a thick nylon rope where I can rest the knots in a piece of wood. I will take a picture of it today together with the pictures of the inside bunks.
Greetings from Karl

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:58 am

Hi,
The more I finish the boat the more questions arise. After quite some time I finished my outboard motor bracket for mounting on the SB side of the transom and the bracket for the aluminium boarding ladder on the PS. After I tried standing and climbing into the boat it did work but the whole thing was not really trustworthy so I ordered a stainless steel boarding ladder from Osculati to be more adequate for my heavy weight. When it arrived I was surprised to read that I should not use it except when the boat is in the water.
My question to you experts: Does this apply for climbing into the boat from a boarding ladder mounted at the transom of a sailboat always or only for my ordered ladder ? It might explain why my alu ladder was rather wanting to break under my weight.

Here is the bracket for the alu ladder attached with just 2 strings to the cleat and pushpit.

And here with the ladder hooked into the 2 holes of the wooden bracket.

And this is my outboard motor bracket also attached to the pushpit with 3 strings for quick fitting and removal. I made it from aluminium and wood.

This is the picture of a test wooden piece how I want to lock the centreboard at the top of the trunk. I am thinking of making it a bit more elaborate as a lid for the open top with a hinge a bit like Salvatore did on his Adelie but he mounted a winch on the top to lift the centreboard.

Greetings from Karl

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:09 am

Hi,
I forgot to show you the fancy boarding ladder over which I should board the boat only when it is in the water. I want to make a similar bracket as for my alu ladder so it can be removed from the transom easily and again no screw holes in the boat. This allows me to take both ladders along and mount them in the spur of a moment aluminium ladder for people who want wider steps and SS ladder for the heavyweights like me.

Here in the up position

And here in the down position temporarily laid on top and ballasted with my portable lead weights.

Greetings from Karl

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:14 am

Karl, very nice!!!! Jeff

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:21 am

That is quite an assortment of issues. So:
How are you visualizing using the ladder when the boat is not in the water? Are you planning to use these ladders for swim ladders? We don't do that around here, the water's cold, so the ladder on our 22 is never used except in emergencies and that's happened only once when someone managed to flip the dinghy. For emergencies I'd like the ladder to live in its functional position at all times when in the water and be accessible from the sea. You need to have a ready method of getting a person back on board. This means that for my money the SS ladder that folds, with a lanyard long enough to grab from the water to deploy it, is the only option. If you are by yourself you can't depend on any arrangement that requires assistance. The aluminum ladder as shown could not be used while sailing and could not be deployed quickly in an emergency, so really it could only be used at anchor for a swim ladder and that means carrying two ladders, one for each purpose. In a small boat I don't see the practicality of that. I see you have Jacques' holes in the rudder for getting back into the boat and those may be climbable, I don't know. If that is your emergency solution, then you don't need the stainless one at all.
As for not using the ladder except when the boat is in the water I have a feeling this was a clause written by lawyers in case you do something stupid. Of course, as we are sailors, doing something stupid is a given, so I get their motivation. Still, I think it would hold your weight but on the other hand see above about when it is going to be used.

As to the keel arrangement, I don't know enough about this particular boat to have an opinion except that you can't expect that pin to hold the keel while going down the road on a trailer. As was mentioned earlier, this will result in wearing out the hole from vibration. So you need a line or a rubber plate on the trailer to support the keel when not in the water, and that will not do any damage.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:18 am

Keep in mind that a body in water requires less support than a body on land thanks to increased density of water. There's also a difference in how support for climbing has to be done when you need to keep someones head off the concrete vs letting them hit water (you only have one support point on the swim ladder vs 2 support points for land ladders... think about it).