AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by Bogieman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:42 am

Nice pic Karl! She's so close now. One can only imagine how proud and excited you must be.

Bogie

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi,
On the eve of fathers day which is celebrated here in Austria tomorrow my boat is finished with the help of my son. I did paint yesterday the last 2 sides of the boat and mentioned before I can adapt it to the trailer I need to exchange the top fitting of my centreboard because I made a mistake when I first mounted it. I fitted a rather big nut in the hole which also was meant to be the hole for arresting the centreboard in the up position just to find out that the pin did not get through anymore to hold the board up. My son suggested lets do it together and within the next 2 hours we put the boat on its side enough at an angle so we could let out the centreboard completely. The fitting was quickly exchanged and now it is standing back on its keel shoe and the centreboard can be fixed in the up position with a screwdriver pushed through case and board to be replaced later with a SS pin.

And here is the finished boat 4 Years behind schedule but so what I lived to see that enjoyable moment today.

And now its time for a nice Stellenbosch Shiraz as it is well past five.

The tasks to do for splashing are diminishing fast. My boat trailers road safety had to be checked for the first time after 3 years of age and is ready for the boat. The next check will be in 2 years time and after that annually. Now I will fix the name to the 2 boat sides and adapt the trailer bunks to the boat and then pull it out of the shed for the first time to have my rat rod test as Michael would say.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:38 pm

This is getting exciting. :D
Tony

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:53 pm

Like every one else I am waiting for your big day :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:58 pm

Party at Karl's for the maiden voyage?
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:48 pm

terrulian wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:38 pm
This is getting exciting. :D
YES IT IS!!!

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:15 am

Very exciting Karl. Congratulations!

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi,
Today I pushed the trailer into the boat shed and as I have done it in my thoughts often before I was so surprised that there was a snag when it had to happen for the first time in reality. The dammed wooden pole of the gardens grape whine pergola was so much in the way that it took the better part of the morning to push the trailer into the shed just to find out that the boat was not lifted high enough. I am thinking already of a way that the wooden pergola pole can be taken away temporarily while mucking around with the trailer there. But after the boat was lifted a bit higher is was clear sailing the choice of words came most probably thinking ahead a month or so and splashing.Then I fetched the bathroom scale to find out the tongue weight. Because my car is rather small and should only tow with a maximum tongue weight of 40 kg I packed my battery in front of the transom ( later on inside the SB bunk in front of the transom ) put the rudder and tiller into the cockpit and then came the moment of truth. The weight was much too high 48 Kg but I got it down to 43,7 kg by pushing the light bar of the trailer onto its back. Then my burning ambition broke out and I packed my anchor with its line also into the cockpit in front of the transom. This is not a place where the anchor should be but as I will use it rather by throwing it over the transom it will be stored in the future nearby under the hatch of the cockpit floor. The aim of 40 Kg was still not reached but 40,7 I can live with for the first day of playing boat meets trailer. While I am writing this I thought of some more transom weights I can try tomorrow: My outboard bracket mounted on the transom and the electric outboard motor stored in the PS bunk.

My son suggested I should first try the trailer and boat with all the wheels and keel roller which where on the trailer. So today I have done this but my lovely with epoxy glue laminated 3 meter long skids I will try to mount them tomorrow and soon after that I want to do my rat rod test with wheels or skids I do not know yet a toss up. The next big problem is also already there. The names I have to attach on both sides near the bow and I do not know if it should be parallel to the water line or follow the curve of the sheer line. Maybe one of you can chip in on that.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:54 pm

I lot of times you can adjust your axle forward or backward a little to get correct tongue weight. Must be done very carefully and correctly to keep it square with the trailer frame.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:12 pm

Unless there are regulations contrary to this in your country, put the name (and number?) parallel to the shear. I'd have a look online and see where Austria requires them to be.
Tony