New AD14 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: New AD14 build

Post by das boot » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:07 pm

It looks like you have the same mast and boom set up I have mine came from my father in laws garage he got it from a serpluss store after the olimpic games in 1978 and had it in storage he was going to build a boat to match the mast he never built it so when I started mine he gave me the mast and boom it works well. No problem with rasing the main with that set up it can get trickey on a windy day as you get it pulled near the top but not a big deal. I finley changed some of my rigging around so now I can do it all from the cockpit just getting to old to go on that small deck

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:24 pm

Sorry that this is a little off topic. I am not getting anything done on the boat this week due to spending all my time cleaning up after hurricane Matthew. We were lucky since we here on Florida's Space Coast were supposed to receive a direct hit, but it ended up off shore so we only got low grade hurricane winds and rain. No serious damage, but I did learn that the roof on clubhouse I had built for my kids was apparently not up to hurricane building standards. So one major cleanup project was tearing the rest of it down.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:22 pm

Glad you guys faired well waytootall!! You can replace the roof of the club house pretty easily!! Jeff

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:12 am

I have a problem and I am looking for ideas. After mounting the keel shoe and fiberglassing the centerboard - the centerboard no longer fits through the keel shoe. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to sand/grind/rasp/cut to widen the slot through the keel shoe now that it is mounted?

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi,
Your keel shoe problem you can solve with a narrow sander like Corto Maltese once posted for me after I asked how to get into corners.
It looks like this and is rather cheap I paid about 45 $ for it :

He still added the sentence: You can access the most hidden spaces, which could be admired later only by mice.

Ever since then I use such a sander a lot.

You could widen the slot in the keel shoe with such a sander to the width of the center board case above. I hope the center board case is not too narrow as well because that would need a radical cure of ripping it out from inside the boat and mount a new one with the big enough width.

My shoe is about 8 cm ( 3 1/2 inches high ) to hide the board completely when retracted and the length of the sander is about 13 cm ( 5 inches ) long so it should be easy to widen the shoe or work on it if the slot is not long enough.

The following is a picture of my shoe just lying on top of the keel. You see slot of shoe and the center board trunk are both the same width:

And here a picture with the sander at the bow end of the shoe :

I hope it helps you a bit.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:59 am

Thanks. I had considered one of those, but I wasn't sure if they actually work. I will get one and try it. It is just the slot in the keel shoe that is my problem. I am also going to try a rasp and sander attachment for my reciprocating saw that a friend from work suggested.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:01 am

I would try the rasp , or maybe a piece of wood with some 40 grit sandpaper . How much are you trying to remove :?:
Novi 23 finally launched !

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:37 pm

Hi,
Could you maybe post a picture of the mounted keel shoe. I am about to mount it on my AD14. What looks funny to me I need much more wedges at the bow side of the shoe than near the stern and it will be twice as high than at the transom side. Did you experience the same thing when you attached the shoe ?
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:39 pm

From your pictures, your keel shoe does seam to be further away from the hull than mine was. Mine was close to equal on both ends. Here are some pictures I took while mounting it. You can see the number of wedges I had to add.

They were about 2inches (5cm) and 2.5in (6cm) away from the hull at the tips so that is how much I needed to fill in with wedges and paste.

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:43 pm

Topwater - I was trying to figure out how to attach rough grit sandpaper to a 2x4 and have the sandpaper stay in place when enough force was applied to sand down the very hard meranti plywood and epoxy and I couldn't figure out how to do it. I also couldn't figure out how to move it back and forth enough without destroying my shoulders. I admit that I am a wimp and like power tools. I would love for someone to explain how I could overcome these hurdles.