New AD14 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New AD14 build

Post by waytootall » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:21 pm

My Christmas Eve daytime activity was to get the boat flipped back upright (hopefully for good) so I can continue work on the sides and top. Also so I can roll it out of the garage again since the weather here is perfect for working outside.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:31 pm

That's very impressive progress on a boat that big in just one year. Must be satisfying to see her right side up.
Tony

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:51 pm

Yep. I am getting excited that I will get her in the water this summer. I will get it up and working before putting the finishing touches on. Partly just to get out on the water, but also partly on the off chance it just sinks :)

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:50 am

That is not gonna happen...but it makes me wonder if it ever has happened.
My boat, like most I'm sure, doesn't leak.
Tony

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:20 pm

The weather is perfect down here so I was able to roll the boat out into the driveway and get some good work done. In addition to getting the transom fiberglassed I also finally got the right tools to make the mast partner and mast step. I got a 2.5 inch forstner bit to match the profile of the mast. Here is my mast partner:

And my (slightly blurry) mast step:

My question for the experienced builders is: How did you attach the mast partner to the cabin roof? As you can see, the partner is not curved like the cabin roof and there are no good placed to use clamps. All I can think of is bolting the partner down at the far ends using stainless steal bolts (in addition to epoxy) for a mount permanently including the bolts. Any other suggestions?

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:25 am

Hi,
The way the mast partner should be mounted per plan is glue the first 6 mm piece of plywood to the cabin roof and weigh it down on each side to follow the camber of the roof then do the same with the second and third plywood part. Seeing that you glued the 3 plywood panels together on an even surface you naturally cannot bend it anymore to follow the camber of the roof deck. I would suggest that you glue this straight mast partner to the deckroof with lots of epoxy/woodflour glue. It must just be a bit on the firm side that it will not run away from underneath the partner especially on the sides where the gap between the partner and deck is the biggest. I would place it first there without glue and put a little wooden block on each side to keep it level and then remove it again and spread the glue with a spatula evenly on the roof deck up to the height of the 2 wooden blocks and the press the partner onto it with some weights on top finishing it off with glue all around it.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:31 am

I did not see/remember that set of steps in the plan darn it. I will go back and check. That would make it easier. I might go back and re-do it.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:53 pm

Redoing it is probably your best bet plus it will never look right if you do some kind of fix and you would never forgive yourself
for not doing right.
Novi 23 finally launched !

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:34 am

Hi,
Actually it is not in the plan notes, but I remember Stuff who posted this problem under AD16 Karenina on page 2 and how he solved it.
I will make a short post there so you will find it under new posts.
Greetings from Karl

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi,
I think it is much easer to cut out 3 new pieces of plywood and then glue it to the deck and achieve the camber after each piece of wood.
If you have not enough plywood only then I would do it the way stuff described how he fitted the mast partner by cutting grooves.
Greetings from Karl