New AD14 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Salvatore
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New AD14 build

Post by Salvatore » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi, In construction "grooving" is a common practice that works extremely well. The perfect work person in me would say, relay the ply one layer at a time so that each layer would follow the curve of the boat. The lazy person in me would cut the grooves. I think it depends on how you feel about it on the day :D
For the readers who don't know what grooving is: a picture says a thousand words.

PS: the more grooves the greater the curve and make sure you fill the grooves with epoxy putty for added strength.

Regards Salvatore
Building Angelina
https://youtu.be/plQZZJgnWzk

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:56 pm

Excellent example Salvatore!!! Jeff

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Thanks for the great example. The pictures are exactly what I need. If I have (or can easily get) enough plywood I will redo it since this will be a very visible piece. But I may have to bend the piece I have so this is most welcome.

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:21 pm

I re-built the mast partner as suggested and it worked very well. So this weekend I mounted the mast step:

And then raised the mast for the first time!

Properly wedged in the mast step and the angle of the mast is as close to 5 degrees as I can measure, even though it looks like a larger angle. I did have a lot of trouble getting the mast up alone so I will be adding a guide into the mast partner to anchor the end of the mast while I walk it up. My daughter wanted to help for a while so we also work on finishing building the portholes. Still finishing work to do here but it looks promising.

Salvatore
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Salvatore » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:16 am

Looks good, great work! Was it hard or easy to drop the mast down the hole? Regards Salvatore

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:33 pm

It was hard to get the mast through the hole. The cabin roof is tall and long so it was impossible for me alone to get it in. With a helper anchoring the foot of the mast at the hole i could do it. That is why I am planning to add a stop at the front edge of the hole to anchor the mast while i am raising it. I am considering a 2 inch (50mm) inner diameter PVC pipe cut in half extending from the mast step up through the mast partner and extending about 4 inches above the cabin roof. I could make this removable and just have it in while raising the mast.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Nice plan WayTooTall!! Jeff

Salvatore
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Salvatore » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:30 pm

The mast was going to be way to tall and heavy for me, I stand 5ft 2in and it was going to be way to difficult. So what I did was to build a Tabernacle to rest and pivot the mast from the deck this reduced the overall length of the mast and makes it easy to hoist. I just lift the mast and another person pulls a rope attached to the fore stay cable and then attaches it to the bowsprit or in your case to the bow. I then had a solid bar inside the cabin that goes to the keel. This has worked really well for me and I have zero regrets in doing it this way. Also the mast stays on the boat one less thing to do.
PS: I never have to stand on the cabin :D

George did it a different way, he built a tube sleeve that is solid half way up from the keel, the pipe goes all the way to the keel, the mast drops into a hole/pipe only two feet down from the deck. The pipe makes it easier to slide the mast down the hole the mast is approximately 2 ft shorter.

The builder of an AD16 in South Africa installed a standard deck mast mount.
Regards Salvatore
Building Angelina
https://youtu.be/plQZZJgnWzk

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:45 pm

I haven't been able to get much done the last few weeks due to activities with the kids. I have manages to make the rudder. It is now ready for staining and epoxy.

I am pretty happy with the wing profile I managed to get. A lot of planning.

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:36 pm

Started the painting process. I am happy with how the paint makes the wood contrast nicely. The first primer coat did expose some uneven spots so I have more filling and sanding to do before any finish coats.