New AD14 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New AD14 build

Post by waytootall » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:34 pm

Another thing I am working on is the rub rail and trim. I am experimenting with using 1/8 inch think 4 inch wide rubber strip to wrap over the curved edge. This serves two purposes - to guard the corner to prevent dings and to cover up the spots where the finish is not as good since the fiberglass tape on the corners shows. This is the initial small area experiment. It worked pretty well so I will get the rubber to cover the entire length.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:03 am

Will you need to take that around any bends, or will it just be used in straight sections?
Hank

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:09 pm

Remember that a laminated rubrail is a stiffener, it adds strength.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:29 pm

I was planning to run the rubber strip along the entire length of the boat including the curved section along the deck/hull seam. I did not think of the strength aspect of the rubrail. How important is that?

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:39 pm

It depends on how hard you hit something. 8) You should be OK if you use fenders, which you need to be doing anyway. A rub rail is well-named; it is not meant to prevent real damage from collisions, just to prevent marring of your boat or others when "rubbing" against something. :D I'm assuming you added the structural elements in the plans and this is not a substitute for that.
Tony

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:49 pm

Correct. I added all the internal structural elements. The rubber will work well for minor bumps. I also wasn't sure about bending a laminated strip to match the 3 dimensional curve of the hull/deck joint.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:40 pm

Try heating it either with a heat gun or by soaking it in hot water. With a heat gun of course you have to stay away from the boat so you don't affect the paint.
If that doesn't work you'll have to cut out little slivers, which of course you will do with the precision of a brain surgeon. :D

Sorry, I just saw that you were talking about laminated strips so maybe the above is irrelevant.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:01 pm

Laminated strips can still benefit from heat/steam.

I'll swear by screws though. Requires you to patch later but it does keep things tight and slows you to bend multiple planes.

1 mark spots on inside of hull where screws go.
2 drill out over sized hole
3 wax a pile of screws.
4 prep strip by applying slow or a mixed "medium" epoxy
5 starting at one end clamp the first 24" making sure not to clamp over a screw hole
6 put screws in the first 24". Apply from INSIDE hull through rub rail.
7 continue on down the hull; bend strip, clamp, screw, next hole
8 do other side.
9 go drink beers
10 once epoxy is set back screws off till no longer showing through strip and star with #1 above for the next layer.
11 once all strips applied, remove screws, over drill holes and fill with thickened epoxy.
12 use a flush trim bit to trim the upper side of rail.
13 use thickened epoxy to square up bottom side of rail.

That's basically what I did with some improved steps that will prevent the issues I had. Might work for you as well.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Mon May 01, 2017 1:35 am

Hi,
I wonder why Jeff did not mention the rubrail they sell at Bateau from Tessilmare which is plastic and can be easily attached. I am thinking of putting it onto my AD14 if the edge on both sides does not turn out all that nice.
I like Jaysens decription of how to attach strips of rubrail. I just dont understand why screwing it from the inside because there is no chance on the whole boat to clamp the strip on the outside except one has a clamp as wide as the seats and as the foredeck. On my FS13 I just screwed the rubbing strip from the outside and after 10 hours of the epoxy hardening I took the screws out again. There is always the chance one can get the edge so nice that one only needs a fender like good old Bondo. I hope he does not mind if I show you his result.
Greetings from Karl
Last edited by gonandkarl on Mon May 01, 2017 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Mon May 01, 2017 2:03 am

Hi,
Here is the detail of it:
Product ID: BP_1235_wht_roll
Rigid rub rail white per 50' roll
Product ID: BP_1235_wht_roll
Rigid rub rail white per 50' roll
A two-piece system comprised of a rigid base and flexible insert. The rigid base provides for a straight installation and the flexible insert provides a cushioning effect. Pre-drilled every 6" for a #8 screw - makes for very easy installation vs. flexible rub rail. Both black (8178) and white (878) insert will fit.
We have used this rub rail on our own boats and really like how easy it installs. Also, gives a very clean look.
50' max continuous single length
List Price: $150.00
Price: $95.00
The picture of it you can see on Boatbuilding Supplies on the link next to Boat Plans and Kits. I was not capable of copying it to this post.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433