AD16 Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:34 pm

I do not know what a keel shoe is but when I goggled it, doesn't look like what you are making. :doh: Google showed it was a deck shoe. Yours looks different! :D
Last edited by OrangeQuest on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:48 pm

Short explanation: it’s the part where the CB enters the hull. It heavily reinforced and often a significant source of ballast. In a lot of boats it’s internal to the hull. JM uses external shoe.

At least that’s how it was explained to me. JM can correct me if I’m wrong.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:12 am

A word about fairing: "It's a lot of work until it' isn't".

That is what I have learned after more than a month of it. There have been days on end where it seemed I wasn't getting anywhere and the work ahead seemed daunting. Then on the next day, boom, all of a sudden I was there- kind of like reaching a nice flat summit after you've been pedalling uphill for too long- it feels nice :D The one thing I have kept in mind is I'm not in a hurry. The boat won't be in the water until next year- so do a very nice job.

So anyway I'm very close ( a week or two) to having the entire topside faired and ready for primer. And inside the cabin (below the sheer line) is close too.

I'm doing some window shopping too: Dorade box and cowl vents/ bimini tops/ porta potty/ cookware/ stove solar panel/ battery/ etc. Very exciting stuff

Bogie

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:40 am

Very exciting stuff
Yep, sure is.
I think you meant to separate stove and solar panel, unless you have seen something that is a combo of the two.

I didn't love fairing but I didn't hate it either. I think that before this project most of us had probably done a little sanding or maybe even sanded a boat bottom, but taking something that was quite rough and seeing it eventually become a beautiful shape was tedious and time consuming but ultimately very satisfying. I know I wouldn't have been happy with a boat that people would see if it looked like it had been thrown together carelessly.
Tony

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:52 am

Good progress Bogie!!!! Jeff

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:51 pm

The solar panel i use on my boat is only 4 inches by 12 it is mounted on the deck beside my hatch it keeps my battery well charged i also have a similer sised unit on my motor home it just sits on the dash and keeps those batteries topped up it was under $100 on the network i can send you pictures if you want

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:12 pm

From West Marine;
""Do You Need a Charge Controller?
As a general rule panels that produce less than 1.5 percent of a battery’s rated capacity in amp hours do not require regulation. This means that a 1.5A panel is the largest you should use without a regulator on a 100Ah battery. Regulators should generally be used any time you have two or more large panels connected to your batteries.
If you’re concerned about damaging your new gel or AGM batteries due to overcharging, you can add a small, inexpensive charge controller. These controllers, also called regulators, are rated by the maximum number of amps in your solar array, and we offer versions handling between 7A and 50A. Regulators are ideal if you can’t be onboard to monitor your electrical system, and the top units now feature smart, multi-stage charging.""

From my life (Capt UB) on Solar....
Just be careful, some SOLAR CELLS can drain your battery at night without regulation. They make them with diodes that only let the charging current go in one direction, but that will cut down the amount of charge they put out. It's how some panels are rated higher then others, no diodes, higher output....
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:05 am

das boot wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:51 pm
The solar panel i use on my boat is only 4 inches by 12 it is mounted on the deck beside my hatch it keeps my battery well charged i also have a similer sised unit on my motor home it just sits on the dash and keeps those batteries topped up it was under $100 on the network i can send you pictures if you want
Thanks everyone!

George: Yes I'd like to see your set up. I'm also curious about the size and type of battery you are using and the type of switch panel.

Thank you!

Bogie

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:07 am

Capt UB wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:12 pm
From West Marine;
As a general rule panels that produce less than 1.5 percent of a battery’s rated capacity in amp hours do not require regulation. This means that a 1.5A panel is the largest you should use without a regulator on a 100Ah battery. Regulators should generally be used any time you have two or more large panels connected to your batteries.
If you’re concerned about damaging your new gel or AGM batteries due to overcharging, you can add a small, inexpensive charge controller. These controllers, also called regulators, are rated by the maximum number of amps in your solar array, and we offer versions handling between 7A and 50A. Regulators are ideal if you can’t be onboard to monitor your electrical system, and the top units now feature smart, multi-stage charging.""

Just be careful, some SOLAR CELLS can drain your battery at night without regulation. They make them with diodes that only let the charging current go in one direction, but that will cut down the amount of charge they put out. It's how some panels are rated higher then others, no diodes, higher output....
Thanks Capt UB! I'm looking into the solar panel/ battery/ switch panel etc but I have no idea what any of it means :lol: soooo I've got some learning to do. Unless,

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:17 am

Capt UB wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:12 pm
From West Marine;

Thanks Capt UB! I'm looking into the solar panel/ battery/ switch panel etc but I have no idea what size battery/solar panel/ switch panel etc. And I'm not familiar with the electronic terms stuff at all :lol: soooo I'm pretty lost. I've got some learning to do. I would like to have a set up that would allow me to run the nav & cabin lighting/ electronic equip like gps/depth finder/back lighted compass/charge cell phones/ VHF radio/and maybe a blue tooth device for music. I think that's about everything.

I really need help with this one :D