AD16 Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2816
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Marin County, CA
Contact:

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by terrulian » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:45 pm

That's a pretty good notion, OQ, and then they'd be adjustable. But Bogie's using galvanized pipe. You might be able to drill a hole in and use your method but you'd want at least some silicone or Tef-gel and even then I'm thinking it'll get corroded and freeze. Nylon rope stretches a lot, too, so a better choice would be Spectra but that's expensive. Also, the rail on the transom does not appear to be supported fore-and-aft so any of our ideas may cause it to stress its mount.


Tony
Image

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 4526
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:59 am
Location: St Helena Island, SC

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Jaysen » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:16 pm

Stick a come along on there. Cheap enough to throw away. Tighten it enough to crush the boat. 😁

Straps may seem ghetto but they are nicer when you’re leaning on them.

Problem with rope will be tightening. I think you could use a stick winder (can remember the name) to take up or introduce slack.

Edit: can’t find a name. Take piece of wood, get a bite of rope over it, wind the rope tight. I’ll try to make you a video.
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2816
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Marin County, CA
Contact:

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by terrulian » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:35 pm

Jaysen...you still have to tie a knot.
Tony
Image

User avatar
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2587
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:14 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:44 pm

terrulian wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:45 pm
That's a pretty good notion, OQ, and then they'd be adjustable. But Bogie's using galvanized pipe. You might be able to drill a hole in and use your method but you'd want at least some silicone or Tef-gel and even then I'm thinking it'll get corroded and freeze. Nylon rope stretches a lot, too, so a better choice would be Spectra but that's expensive. Also, the rail on the transom does not appear to be supported fore-and-aft so any of our ideas may cause it to stress its mount.
Galvanized eye bolts would work and they would be stronger, cheaper.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 4526
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:59 am
Location: St Helena Island, SC

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Jaysen » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:48 pm

terrulian wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:35 pm
Jaysen...you still have to tie a knot.
Well ... yeah. But nothing fancy. A bowline would be perfect. You’re letting the winder make it tight.
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2816
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Marin County, CA
Contact:

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by terrulian » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:10 pm

You're talking about a Spanish Windlass
Image

The winder has to be secured or it will just spin free. You're going to end up with a stick in the middle of your lifeline, no? I'm not getting how that's going to work.
Tony
Image

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 4526
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:59 am
Location: St Helena Island, SC

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Jaysen » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:33 pm

Similar but only one line, not a loop. Secure at vertical next to pipe.

Not a glorious solution but a functional one. Might spawn an idea.
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2816
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Marin County, CA
Contact:

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by terrulian » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:52 pm

You'd have to draw it out. You still have to secure the winder and you'd still have a stick in the middle.
Tony
Image

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 1764
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Myrtle Beach

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Bogieman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:17 pm

Thanks for all this input! Seems I've created a bit of a monster :lol:

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 4555
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by fallguy1000 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:59 am

Looks way better with the ropes.

Now glop somefairing over those pipe threads and paint them rails white please!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests