AD16 Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Bogieman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:36 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:18 pm
Looks good.
Thanks! Are you still on building hiatus?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:38 pm

for the "cold day" just use fast hardener. I found that most of the time I had to cut it with some slow to make "unpredictable medium". But then what's the fun in knowing how things will work?

Anyway, I used fast mixed with slow down to about 50F and has no issues with it. The only issues I really had was my unwillingness to be out in the cold. :)

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:43 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:38 pm
for the "cold day" just use fast hardener. I found that most of the time I had to cut it with some slow to make "unpredictable medium". But then what's the fun in knowing how things will work?

Anyway, I used fast mixed with slow down to about 50F and has no issues with it. The only issues I really had was my unwillingness to be out in the cold. :)
Thanks Jaysen. That's a great idea, but I'm stuck with what I have for now. I move pretty slow anyways... :D

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:01 pm

Bogieman wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:36 pm
OrangeQuest wrote:
Looks good.
It's more waiting for April's budget to buy more supplies. I thought while I was waiting I would get the live well and bait well roughed out but work went from sitting behind a desk and tons of free time to no free time. Even been working through my days off.

Start of the paddling season and we are hiring, training and keeping things going. Our bayou (Buffalo Bayou) has been repaired and opened back up for the public. Our phone is non stop ringing people wanting boats, tours, lessons and everything we do. Been loading trailers, cleaning boats and PFDs and getting everything ready for the next event or venue. And they seem like they are non stop right now as long as the weather holds up.

Next week we move boats and gear out of the warehouse and to one of our venues that was wiped out by flood waters. It will give me breathing room in my warehouse. 20 Kayaks and canoes move out but will still have over 30 left. Right now I have boats stacked on top of boats and 3 trailers full of kayaks.

I did manage to grind off some of the tape that over hung the stringers but that has been it. I have two of the frames ready to be glued and taped in, another one I need to trim and still need to mark out 2 or 3 more. stack all the frames that the chase tubes and drill the holes before I install them.
Figured I would then put neat epoxy on them all before they are installed. Rough sand and then install. Easy enough to cut through the tape after the epoxy hardens and I know all the holes are coated good.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:18 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:01 pm
Bogieman wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:36 pm
OrangeQuest wrote:
Looks good.
It's more waiting for April's budget to buy more supplies...
Woah! Well, you've got a lot going on. I like how you are a champion for so many (like me) who are building even though your project is on a bit of a pause for now. I hope your business does very well and brings in the extra cash needed for your build.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:44 pm

The beautiful weather has returned ! Yesterday I worked on building the inside bow seams with thickened epoxy and I also fabricated frame B. Here you see it dry fitted in the hull with frame C (background).
frames A & B.jpg
For today, I began working on dry fitting the Centerboard and centerboard case.
cb1.jpg
cb dry fit 1.jpg
cb dry fit 2.jpg
cb in boat.jpg
Once I get everything tweaked just right I will coat it with several good coats of epoxy. I intend to secure the spacers to the CB case using thickened epoxy and maybe a few lightly tightened screws (to be removed after it cures). Next I plan to build a good fillet all along the spacers inside thee case. I will not be fiberglassing the inside of the CB case (it's optional). The outside will be completed per plans which is bi-axial tape on all seams followed by covering the entire assembly with woven cloth.

Well, that's all for my afternoon lunch break. Now it's time to get back to the boat!

Bogie

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:16 pm

8)
Tony

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi there sailing friends,

Today I finished the fillet along the inside keel seam and inside bow seam (the bow required a lot of thickened epoxy). After building the seams I smoothed them the best I could then immediately applied epoxy resin to wet out the areas then worked wet on wet completing the whole section from bow to stern in three segments of bi axial tape . Even with slow speed epoxy I really had to scramble. It doesn't look like a lot of work but I am tired :D . All in all it came out pretty good but it's a bit messy at the bow where everything comes together. I might have to revisit that area before adding the second layer of bi-axial. It was super windy and this was causing all kinds of stuff from the trees to come blowing in and it all ended up in the epoxy before the tape when down. I removed some of it but in the end decided just to roll with it the best I could, after all, that's part of building outside. It looks like there will be some air bubbles here and there but the glass wet out nicely. I'm not sure how much it will matter in the end because all of it will be covered in woven cloth and it will be hidden under the sole.

A few pics of the crime scene:
Attachments
keel & bow 2.jpg
Keel & bow 1.jpg

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:54 pm

Looks good to me.
Just crawling around makes you tired. Wiring my big boat was always exhausting although I was never lifting anything heavy.

Build on!
Tony

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:10 pm

Bogie, looks good!! Don't worry about a little mess with the epoxy, you will cover it anyway!! Nice build!! Jeff