AD16 Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Fuzz » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:06 pm

Thank you very much.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Hope you filed the shape edges off afterwards.
Fuzz wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:45 pm
Every builders boat needs to be permanently marked with a little of his DNA. :lol:
But they don't stain it red!!! 8O

Boogieman great pictures of your build, it is really coming along and nice to add a little of custom stuff and go off plans! Also looks like you are having a sunny weekend! (100% cloud cover here)

Hope you have stock in Band Aid! :lol: :lol:

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:49 am

Hi,
Yes Salvatore changed the bunks to be lower and I think he is doing very well with it. I just have not seen his bunks underneath but for storing a paddle or other things he for sure has enough place there. In your case you just do away with the rounding and the seat surface sloping to the side. I think I should have done it also like that. The rounding is a bitch to build and fairing it as well. The rounding inside of my bunks is still not faired just epoxied and painted and the sloping on top is also awkward like for me mounting the SS ladder which needs to be mounted horizontal on top and for that I have to make a 3.5 cm plywood pillow on the seat top for the left deck support. And because underneath the seat the pillow has to be glued for the the right deck screws the whole ladder installation will have to wait till after the splashing. Jacques might have designed it that way for aesthetic reasons and because waves will glide off easier on a slope, but lets be honest we most probably will never sail our boat in heavy weather where the waves roll over the cockpit. I still think you are doing the right thing with the even seat and it hardly influences the lying in the bunk. The other day when I was in the bunks remounting the push pits nuts I imagined lying in a coffin must be similar and then I would not care if the lid above me is straight or a bit sloping. Just some more info for your crew accommodation.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:03 am

The slope may also help with a boat heeled on a beam wind. Flat benches may make it harder to stay put on the windward side.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:44 am

OrangeQuest wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:43 pm
Hope you filed the shape edges off afterwards.
Fuzz wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:45 pm
Every builders boat needs to be permanently marked with a little of his DNA. :lol:
But they don't stain it red!!! 8O

Boogieman great pictures of your build, it is really coming along and nice to add a little of custom stuff and go off plans! Also looks like you are having a sunny weekend! (100% cloud cover here)

Hope you have stock in Band Aid! :lol: :lol:
Haha! It only bled a little and I didn't even need a band-aid. I appreciate your vote of confidence about the modification on the benches. Believe me, a lot of thought went into the decision and what possible affect the modification would have on the overall design- both good and bad. Time will tell if i made the right decision. I think Karl's response sums it up well.

I'll be watching your thread for those bait well pics
Last edited by Bogieman on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:19 am

gonandkarl wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:49 am
...The other day when I was in the bunks remounting the push pits nuts I imagined lying in a coffin must be similar and then I would not care if the lid above me is straight or a bit sloping. Just some more info for your crew accommodation...
Greetings from Karl
Hi Karl!

I always look forward to reading your posts because: (1) You have built a beautiful Adelie and always have good advise and wisdom (2) Your posts (like the one above) are hilarious and I always find myself laughing out loud.

Well, I'm glad you agree with my decision to modify the bunks; that gives me confidence moving forward. I really like the look of the rounded benches but that's as far as it goes. By removing the curve I can ad the seat back combings and they won't be at an awkward angle. I think it will make the benches more comfortable overall. A difficult part might be figuring out the proper stinger height because I will have to raise the top edge a few inches. I also plan to eliminate the cabin wings so it will be more comfortable to sit on the benches facing aft (like during sundowners) when leaning ones back against the cabin. I plan to ad SS grab rails to the cabin sides in that same general area.

Bogie
Last edited by Bogieman on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:26 am

Jaysen wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:03 am
The slope may also help with a boat heeled on a beam wind. Flat benches may make it harder to stay put on the windward side.
Hi Jaysen,

I hope not :D

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:38 pm

Bogieman wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:44 am
I'll be watching your thread for those bait well pics
Maybe you SHOULD buy stock in Band Aid, once I start on the wells(maybe Tuesday) their stock will be going up!

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:27 pm

You will have more bangs and cuts before you are finished I am sure. the coming I think you will find handy to have it makes a good back rest. I think every one who builds a boat and makes modifications to get what they want out of the boat that is one of the neat things with this site we get to see all the mods builders used. You are making good headway keep it up.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:36 pm

das boot wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:27 pm
You will have more bangs and cuts before you are finished I am sure. the coming I think you will find handy to have it makes a good back rest. I think every one who builds a boat and makes modifications to get what they want out of the boat that is one of the neat things with this site we get to see all the mods builders used. You are making good headway keep it up.
Thanks George! I often wonder what Jacques thinks when we make modifications to his designs...