AD16 Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Bogieman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:52 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:09 pm
Looks like everyone had fun!
Thanks OQ ! We had a great time

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:09 am

Bogie, that looks like a truly great day!!! Boat looks perfect!!! Jeff

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:44 am

Jaysen wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:11 am
terrulian wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:36 am
Jaysen said,
I’m still trying to figure out “Hove too”.

Here's a good video on how to do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XU-8lk3C7U

There's also one by Skip Novak about using heaving-to in a storm. He's a great sailor but I agree with Don in preferring other methods of dealing with storms. Like him, I feel a boat is more vulnerable when not moving.
Thanks Tony.

I was commenting on the use by Don. My thought for "it be time to stop" is more along the lines of drogue/sea-anchor and dropping sail. I know that seems excessive if you're just making a sandwich, but if you're heaving-to for that, there must be other things going on. That said, I'm thinking about it more in terms of circumnavigation and long offshore jaunts. I don't see it being useful inshore thanks to tidal currents and traffic, but I can see it being a quick first step for many things (like deploying drogue/sea-anchor).

Am I wrong?

Boogie, No idea how you would heave with your rig. Actually, heaving is easy. the "to" part might be the hard part :)
Read the story about Richard Wood's abandoning his Eclipse catamaran in the pacific..they had a drogue out, but the now and then 20 foot fast waves that hit him were wjat drove him to mayday. The storm was so bad, the US Navy couldn't get a chopper to him for 10 hours and the seas were calming a bit, but still so bad they took the chopper ride. The biggest fear in a small 16' sailboat isn't getting into 20 foot seas, but getting out of cell range and drifting off, say with a broken boom or badly shredded sail, or broken mast. For that, I think you can run a distress flag up the mast. Or vhf works as well or epirb, etc.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:39 pm

With regard to the drogue, that was a not uncommon tactic among the GGR folks, most famously Robin Knox-Johnston. But if you haven't listened to Susie's detailed account of her experience, you should:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/7eiNZa ... JteHyH8728
Tony