Hybird MF14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Hybird MF14

Post by Chenier » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:35 pm

Trouble in River City!

I did a dry fit of the side panels and found some of the frames don’t extend all the way to the panels. The gaps ranged from 5/16 inch down to some of the frames were too long. Perhaps I cut the deck too wide or the frames too skinny.

And then the side panels came up short. They were short by anywhere from 1/8 inch to 5/16 inch everywhere except Frame D.

This is a great ad for why one should buy the CNC kit :wink:

I consulted with the Delphi here ...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64037

… and started contemplating the fillers that would need to go between the frames and the panels. And the extra 1/4 inch strip I was going to have to glue to either the top or the bottom of the panels. Either way, with no place left to lay out the panels flat, it was setting up to be a hack job.

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:39 pm

After a suitable period in the moaning chair I it was time to make lemonade out of lemons. I lifted the side panels up onto the bottom of the deck instead of having them wrap around its outside.

This simultaneously filled in the gaps and raised them up to be more even with the frames.

There was a little bit of trimming involved. That was a lot easier than futzing around with fillers and adding on a strip. I’ll need to trim the perimeter of the bottom panels when I get there, which I was planning on doing anyway.

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:41 pm

It took some outside bracing to hold the panels in place while I applied all the glue and fillets.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Nice thing about this way of building is as long as you use top quality plywood there is no problem that can not be fixed :wink: :D

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:39 pm

Blue Tape Special, Aisle 3:

Prep for epoxy coating the edges of the structure and sides. These will be inaccessible once the bottom goes on. I can't paint the edge of a board without runs unless I take the time to be incredibly fussy. Fussy isn't in the cards with epoxy setting up in your cup, though.

Used almost a whole roll of blue tape on this. But the tape caught almost all of the dribbles! It, and the dribbles, came off as the epoxy started to gel.

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:41 pm

Brought the bottom panels, cut earlier, down from the overhead and gave them a try.

The center seam wandered in an out a bit more than I liked. Stretched a taught string down the centerline for reference and then started planing away the spots were the panels ran into each other. Stopped when the widest part of the panels became flush with the side panels.

At this point I attached temporary cleats to Frames A and D, port and starboard. One screw in each cleat fixes the bottom panels with respect to the rest of the boat. I couldn’t help myself and “spot welded” bow, transom, and Frames B and C to the bottom panels with a little bit of epoxy glue. The epoxy was just sitting there…

Except at their widest points, where the panels together took up the whole width of the plywood sheet, I initially cut the bottom panels wide. Now that the panels were in place I trimmed that excess off around the sides with a multitool and a block plane.

It isn’t waterproof yet but it looks like a boat!

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:44 pm

Per the build notes I taped the deck to the sides. Then I taped all the seams in the bottom - in part to hold it together and in part to keep epoxy from leaking through when I go to work on the interior. After removing all the exterior cleats (interior ones were long gone), I lifted the boat up onto some 2x2’s.

The deck pulled away from the duct tape in a few spots so I supplemented the duct tape with cargo straps.

Now I’m phoning my friends to come over for a flipping party!

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:25 pm

It looks Good!
I suggest making sure you have enough hands available before you start the flip. Loud crunching noises midflip are not any fun! don't ask me how I know this... :wink:
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:08 pm

I like the way you are working through your issues. My build has had plenty too. Your commentary is quite commical. :D

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:44 pm

>> I suggest making sure you have enough hands available before you start the flip. <<

Presently we have 9 people scheduled for the Flippin' Party. Way more than can fit in the garage with the boat in there too. The strongest get the "priviledge" of helping said Tom Sawyer swiftly.

>> Loud crunching noises midflip are not any fun! don't ask me how I know this... <<

I'm allergic to loud crunching noises! We've told everyone the flipping will be completed before any beverages are served :D

>> I like the way you are working through your issues. My build has had plenty too. Your commentary is quite commical. <<

Thanks! It's challenging. It's a *lot* easier to go out and buy a boat. But this way is a lot more fun.