Hybird MF14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Hybird MF14

Post by Chenier » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:31 pm

Finished filletting and taping the inside.

Once that set I removed all the duct tape from the outside before it made itself a permanent addition.

With all the hull joints sealed up, it's now watertight. It's a boat!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:44 pm

Looking good!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:02 pm

You're being kind. It looks like I slathered a chicken with epoxy and let it loose in there. :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:46 pm

You owe me some rum. And a nasal passage.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Wed May 08, 2019 8:12 am

Back on page 5 I mentioned there was daylight under some of the frames. Well, that chicken came home to roost. Now that the boat has been flipped it's apparent that a deck laid across the structures wouldn't be flat.

If I weren't going to bright finish the deck and side panels I'd just fill the gaps at the sides with thickened epoxy and move on. But that would be too easy.

With varying heights of stringers, frames and side panels it wasn't obvious to me if I should be trimming in spots, building up in spots, or what. :doh: So I got out the laser level and mapped the variances.

In addition to telling me the boat wasn't as level as I thought it was, the laser said the transom was on a bit crooked. Oops.

It also showed me which stringers & frames to shave down to get the straightedge laying flat.

All better now.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed May 08, 2019 8:57 am

The builder is always the worst critic!

Your build is really looking good and if you needed a laser level to tell you the transom was off a little then that makes it a custom, one of a kind. :wink:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Wed May 08, 2019 7:31 pm

She's coming along nicely :D

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Thu May 09, 2019 10:27 pm

Thanks.

The next challenge was inserting a 3/4" block into the mast step for the mast base. First I had to make said block. It was easy to laminate and chop out a block that fit the nominal dimensions of the step. But there were enough irregularities in the fiberglass (who, me?? :D) that the block had to be shaped a bit to actually fit.

Q: How to tell if it would fit all the way down to the bottom of the hole without it getting stuck down there?
A: Mast-step-on-a-stick! A little bit of TB3 fastened the handle. Then I could lower the block in and out of the hole, sanding away areas that were binding.

Of course "everyone knows" there has to be a coin under the mast or all manner of disaster and decrepitude will haunt the ill-fated craft. This bateau will live in Canada so no less than the Queen will do for good luck:

All set for final assembly. I had part of a sheet of 12-gauge brass kicking around from a long-forgotten project so I laminated some of that to the top as a wear plate. The Queen is napping comfortably beneath the sheets.

Some epoxy thickened with wood flour went down the hole to give me a level base over the V-bottom. Then some epoxy thickened with cell-o-fill to act as glue. Then the laminated block, Queen and all, went down the hole. I pushed it into the epoxy until glue started coming up around the sides of the block. It should last.

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Wed May 22, 2019 5:35 am

Got the cockpit floor fiberglassed.

I ran the glass all the way up the sides of the cockpit so I wouldn't have to fair a seam just a few inches up. Turns out some fairing is going to be involved anyway to deal with a couple of sags in the fabric. The fabric lifted in a couple spots at the side-to-bottom joints, too, which is going to take some fixin'.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Wed May 22, 2019 7:48 am

Chenier wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:02 pm
You're being kind. It looks like I slathered a chicken with epoxy and let it loose in there. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: