AR15 Denver

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AR15 Denver

Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:52 am

Nice progress Binny!!! Really looking good!! Jeff

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanks Jeff!

Just one night with the longboard on the easiest surface of the entire boat to fair and my shoulders hurt! I am going to HF on my way home and pick up a straight line air sander to see how well those work!

I used epoxy with micro balloons and silica thickener for the first couple fill coats. I may try just one coat of the epoxy cause it was kind of a bear to get the second coat levelled out. Or maybe just use it to fill low spots? I basically skim coated the entire transom twice then sanded. Most of the second coat was unneeded it had just made the high spots higher. It did fill the lows but took a lot of work to get it sanded to where that mattered.

With the sailing season here I am definitely going for an "ok" finish. I have all next winter to polish and paint. I am not going to be building another boat for at least one winter! I swear!!! :D
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:20 am

I had my first official epoxy fail! Thankfully it was a very small batch that would not cure/harden. I was able to remove the 2 pieces and scrape off the resin. I wiped the area clean with acetone and after it dried put a coat of straight epoxy on top to seal the wood again. I am not sure if I maybe did 2 parts hardener to 1 part resin or maybe just 3 parts resin. Doesn't matter I tried heating it up (a lot) and had given it 3 days. It was still soft and sticky. :oops:
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:07 am

Yikes! Hate when that happens. I did it once on each of the previous 2 boats I built. It's a PITB cleaning it up.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:48 am

Biney777 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:20 am
I am not sure if I maybe did 2 parts hardener to 1 part resin or maybe just 3 parts resin.
Best idea I've seen came from Cracker Larry (like a lot of great boat building practices): he estimated the amount of epoxy he was going to need and measured all his resin and hardener into Solo cups before getting started. He bought two colors of cups, red and blue, the red = resin and the blue would be the hardener. The nice thing about that practice is you are measuring and designating the two parts to be used before you have any time pressure, so you're much less likely to goof up. Once you're in the job, all you have to do is mix a red and a blue together, and if you have a batch that doesn't set up right it's more likely that it didn't get mixed well instead of using double resin.

This practice is especially useful when you're laying big areas of glass and will need several batches one after the other, but the red/resin blue/hardener step is helpful for smaller quantities, too.
Hank

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:34 am

Yes, the colored cup is a great tip. I have, like many, made mixing mistakes: the phone rings while you mix and you pour hardener two times etc.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:15 am

Do not underestimate the value of visual separators and physical separators. Knowing the unique level of dumba$$ I bring to the table, CL recommended that I use colors AND keep them separate side of the table. Then just make sure the same number on each side. You can do it just by counting he colors but it became a mechanics thing too... pour left, pour right, stir. Using the CL method I managed to escape mixing errors.

Knock on my head (wood) for next build...
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:35 am

Thanks Guys for the tips and suggestions! I am really glad it was only about 3 tablespoons worth. Which was probably a partial cause of the problem, it doesn't take much of an error at that size to miss the 10% window. :oops: It is all cleaned up and reglued now tho.

I got the two transom access hatch holes marked and cut out tonight. Sealed the edges with epoxy. Tabbed in a cover for the bowsprit tube in the bow.

Question. Should everything be thru bolted? Like blocks and pulley's or are stainless steel wood screws into plywood with a plywood backer going to be plenty strong enough?
Attachments
20190426_220654.jpg
Bowsprit tube cover below open bow area.for ascetetic purposes only.
20190426_214033.jpg
Transom/Oar access storage hatches

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:46 am

I got some sanding done tonight on the front compartment. Now that the bow deck is going to be open I needed to clean it up some. Fyi, the Festool 150 6" sander is a beast! Seriously the first sander that I have used that scares me!
Attachments
20190430_214547.jpg
Need to fair it out just enough to fill the weave etc.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Wed May 01, 2019 2:24 am

Fesstools are spendy but it is sure nice to sand and have little or no dust. And when you have to work indoors the no dust thing is a biggie. I bought the smaller, $200, 125 also and find it is much easier to use in a lot of different spots.
Your boat is looking good. It is always good to be able to see the results of your labours.