AR15 Denver

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: AR15 Denver

Post by Biney777 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:16 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:43 pm
Biney777 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:28 pm
Fuzz wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:25 pm
The 150 RO is a great tool and not having to deal with dust is simply marvellous :!: I have found the 150 to be a little heavy and aggressive for some uses so I bought the 125 also. Sweet thing is the 125 is the cheapest sander and still does a good job on the lighter work.
Warning Fesstool is boat builders crack. You will want more and more :roll:
I hear that! I started with the Festool 125 to address the hand tingling I was getting from the cheap RO's That was 6 months ago when I still thought I had my sander addiction under control. Now that I am hitting the hard stuff I know I am in Trouble! :help:
Are you saying that getting a Festool is to correct a medical condition similar to carpel tunnel syndrome? So a Festool sander could/should be covered by med ins? 8)
Ha! I like how you think Orange Quest. I was told by a physician that the lingering tingling was nerve damage I was causing by the prolonged exposure to the vibrations from the cheap RO sanders. While I was not able to use that for insurance purposes. It was surely a good enough reason for me to get my first Festool(fix)...

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:25 pm

I was making some progress yesterday. Just got the sest side front panels epoxied in when "real life" happened! ER trip x2 for a friend of mine. She is doing ok. Just needed some IV pain meds to manage what is "hopefully"recovery pain from a "minor" procedure on Friday... headed home again now. Hopefully get some more work done this afternoon.
Attachments
20190223_135832.jpg
The front 3' of the seat sides with epoxy on. Plan was wet on wet....that ship has sailed.
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:24 am

A quick update.
Spent most of Saturday cutting the strips for the seat radius, but I really like the plan and my first of 4 real pieces turned out excellent.
I also got the back of the seat sides glued in and filleted all the inside angles. I was hoping to be able to wet on wet the tape too but just ran out of energy. My fillets are textured enough I don't think I need to worry about the tape/epoxy bonding to it later, just would have liked to get it all done today.
Attachments
20190303_171505.jpg
All cockpit seams are filleted! I had the glass cut just ran out of energy.
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:07 am

She's looking really nice. Glad you got the kinks worked out.

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:58 am

Thanks Bogieman, sadly it isn't so much that i got the "kinks" wotked out, but that I got tired of banging my head against the side of the hull, bemoaning my decision to ever build a boat and cursing George Bueller's "Backyard Boatbuilding" bedevilment! :wink: I figure that either my mistakes will all balance out and it will sail straight, or I will have to find the correct size lake that people think I am sailing in circles on purpose! 8)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:45 am

Your boat will sail straight, don't worry.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:49 pm

Biney777 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:58 am
Thanks Bogieman, sadly it isn't so much that i got the "kinks" wotked out, but that I got tired of banging my head against the side of the hull, bemoaning my decision to ever build a boat and cursing George Bueller's "Backyard Boatbuilding" bedevilment! :wink: I figure that either my mistakes will all balance out and it will sail straight, or I will have to find the correct size lake that people think I am sailing in circles on purpose! 8)
Hey Biney! For what it's worth there have been segments of my build that didn't go togther quite right. It ticked me off at first but then I was like 'the heck with it, got to build the boat around my mistakes". And besides there's boats out there that were carved out of tree trunks or slapped together in a fashion nowhere near precise as what we're doing and they work just fine. In the end I don't think anyone besides me will ever know, except Jacques, maybe if he was standing next to her and eyeing all her lines :D

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:28 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:45 am
Your boat will sail straight, don't worry.
Jacques, thank you for the vote of confidence. I have no doubt that you designed a boat that will sail straight! We may be vastly over estimating MY ability to sail in a straight line tho! :wink: :D

Could you throw some suggestions my way on my question about accessing the bow area? If the answer is just that I will always need to sail with a petite woman, I am good with that. I hear Jaysen's wife is looking for a boat with AC so if you can tell me where to install the AC unit in an AR15 problem solved! :wink:

Thanks

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:37 pm

Bogieman wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:49 pm
Biney777 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:58 am
Hey Biney! For what it's worth there have been segments of my build that didn't go togther quite right. It ticked me off at first but then I was like 'the heck with it, got to build the boat around my mistakes". And besides there's boats out there that were carved out of tree trunks or slapped together in a fashion nowhere near precise as what we're doing and they work just fine. In the end I don't think anyone besides me will ever know, except Jacques, maybe if he was standing next to her and eyeing all her lines :D
No worries, Bogieman. It is all good. My friends busted me the other night when I said. "The next boat I build...."

You and I do think a lot alike tho, I have used the carved out of tree trunks comparison before to keep moving forward.

I did manage to get the cockpit to sole seams taped last night and the epoxy was still tacky from the night before Our cold snap here worked in my favor!
Attachments
20190304_214840.jpg
Cockpit/sole seams taped!

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:15 pm

There weee gooooo! That thing looks great. You've got her licked now