mat australia sk14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: mat australia sk14

Post by BB Sig » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:14 am

Gallon Jugs on both sides with shims to get them plumb. Use small amount like when you initially did the hull between stitches. Just enough to hold them in place if you have time and/or are patient enough to do this! :lol:

I've used tape before to hold parts and I must not do it right because they always seem to move slightly. Whichever method you use, use the fastest hardener you have to ensure it cures as fast as it can so there are less chances to bump the boat out of alignment. :help:

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks guys,

I had proceeded before i checked the forum. I was scared that i was going to have a repeat of the issue when I laminated the knees in the first place.
They were place on plastic then the 2 pieces with tomato sauce consistency then plastic and a brick.
this is what i found in the morning. I had enough timber to just make another.

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:10 am

The way I completed the task (probably wrong) was to use temporary screws. I measured and remeasured and once I was happy,
strategic screws were place into the sole and transom to hold the part still. Only deep enough they they wouldn't wobble. I used thickened epoxy to peanut butter on the contact area and used a gloved finger to wipe off squeeze out.

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:14 am

The next day the screws were removed. I drilled the holes out with a larger bit. the filleting area was resanded. then I filled the holes placed my fillet and then tape over the top. Image

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:19 am

rub rails next, then i can flip!

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:19 am

Nothing wrong with using screws to hold things together while epoxy sets .build on :!:
Novi 23 finally launched !

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:45 pm

For the rubrails you can use screws like you just did or drill a hole in them the size of a wood dowel and use that to help line things up. You may get lucky and just clamps are needed but if not do what you need to do. :D

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:45 pm

The way I completed the task (probably wrong) was to use temporary screws. I measured and remeasured and once I was happy, strategic screws were place into the sole and transom to hold the part still. Only deep enough they they wouldn't wobble. I used thickened epoxy to peanut butter on the contact area and used a gloved finger to wipe off squeeze out.
I don't usually read the "small boats" thread (a bit elitist I know! :lol: ) - but "Australia" got my attention.

For what its worth I dealt with this issue by gluing small blocks of wood in place with a hot glue gun to hold the part that I wanted to epoxy glue in place. When the epoxy had hardened it was easy to leaver off the small wooden block or grind it and/or any residual glue off. I don't know if your build has stringers, but that is how I did my stringers also, and I set them up on plastic tile spacers between a bed of expoxy/woodflour to ensure that there were no hard spots. When the epoxy is hard its easy to pull out the spacers and push some epoxy glue into the small space left behind.

Build on!

Cheers

Lee

snook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by snook » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:17 pm

nice build. can't wait to see it completed.

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks Snook!

It is taking longer than i thought but i am enjoying every step.
I will post some early photos of putting the cleats in under the sole as this was a stage that i found a bit of a fiddle.
My ideas were taking off this web site but it may make it easy for someone else to find.