mat australia sk14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: mat australia sk14

Post by terrulian » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:28 am

Yes, you can chop up your own fibers. The store-bought milled fibers will be finer but that's no big deal.

Tony

bateau-webmaster
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:40 pm

Progressing well,
I've added your thread to the build threads page.
8)
Cracker Larry wrote:Build on 8)
Jamie Fisk
Order Desk, Webmaster
Boat Builder Central, Bateau

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:54 am

So I chopped up some left over mat. I made it as fine as i could. I set up a mold using coreflute as the non-stick material. It worked well
but the mix of fibreglass epoxy and a little fillet powder was significantly harder to work with as when you try to push it down in one area you move it in the area you just filled as it is all connected. I then sanded them to shape.

I covered the whole boat in thickened (fairing powder) epoxy and gave the boat a light spray pain of black. Then went to work earning the boats potential name. I think I put it on a bit thick. Although I thought it looked good and I applied it smooth as, the guide paint and the long board thought otherwise. There was alot of sanding. I was going to sand it all by hand but the ro sander got a pretty good workout.

I will upload some photos as soon as figure out why photobucket has stopped me.

next will be the keel and Iam thinking of putting a little piece on the transom in case I add a sounder down the track. I plan on always drill/fill/redrill but i like the idea of not compromising the transom. it will just be ugly.

on keel design does anyone have any tips. I was thinking 30mm x 18mm then length 1-1.3m. slope in back rounded. round over edges. should it be stopped short of the transom if so why? can it be too long/short? For height i am guessing it is a trade off between tracking and draft. I may paddle the craft as well as have and electric/outboard.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:27 pm

PhotoBucket changed their rules and you have to pay for them to host your pictures and post them. Use the gallery here it works just fine.