D5 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: D5 Build

Post by Dougster » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:44 am

Good tip on the magnet, thanks. Re epoxy and mahogany, I have some dim memory of it maybe needing a wipe down with acetone to remove some of the oils prior to gluing. That may have been only IPE, not sure, but worth a check.

Dougster

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Good to know about the different grades of SS. Dinghy will be in fresh water and when not in use will be in storage or in a covered slip.

Will make sure I wipe down with acetone.

Girlfriend is coming over tomorrow night to finish glassing the seams. I might start building the steam box..

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:10 pm

I wiped down the bond surface of the ipe and mahogany with acetone. I think I followed up five minutes later with an isopropyl 91% wipe down and gave that at least 30 minutes to dry. Nothing has popped off anywhere, but other than my tiller, its all only trim anyway, and the tiller is fine too. Its all staying stuckeded. That could be partly because they are relatively thin laminates. A thick hunk of solid mahogany might expand much faster or more powerfully than lighter painted wood it is bonded to, and that may challenge the bond. But as I said, no problems with my tiller... but its again a thin laminate and makes the tiller a very strong composite.

Enjoy working with those rails, :D , and of course.... beware the mahogany splinters. They are horrible, and small, and need to be dug out. I've never seen any other sort of splinter inflame so fast. Well, there was the fire-ants, but they are not splinters, and I don't know of anyone who ever tried building them into a boat..... :?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:19 pm

ks8 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:10 pm
I don't know of anyone who ever tried building them into a boat.....
"into" is relative. there are more than a few under Lil Bit's paint and graphite. So they are "in" to the boat.

That said, if I had enough to make an actual hull... I think i'd need to move. To a different place. Like the moon.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:21 pm

:lol:

Enjoy the Super moon blue moon blood moon eclipse wednesday morning (tomorrow). Local news probably has your exact times for SC.
Last edited by ks8 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:59 pm

That is one pretty tiller. Really like the contrast of the lighter wood and then the bolts on the dark side.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:56 pm

Thanks. It was one of those, "What wood do I have left for the tiller?" things. It worked out well I think.

Back from the hijack :oops: :

Will this D5 have the sail option?

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:12 am

I used a bunch of Mahogany on my boat and never had to wipe it down . As far as Ipe you have to wipe it down until no
oil comes off on the rag .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:33 am

Did some work on the dinghy.

Taped the seams, but I guess I forgot to take pics!

Applied first coat of epoxy and sanded. Then patched a spot and applied another coat. Have a lot of small bubbles so will sand and put on another coat of epoxy. Then sand and prime..

Started working on my steam box. Forgot to take a pic.

Last edited by Parkrat on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:35 am

Nice Parkrat!!! Really good looking D5!!! Jeff