D5 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: D5 Build

Post by Parkrat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:14 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:45 pm
Do you guys think I need a skeg?
The designer thinks you need it, that's why it is on the plans. :D

In this boat, it is not a stiffener but it is important for tracking even with an outboard.
Why would you remove it?
I had a slight lapse in judgement. :D

Got the doors on the steam box. Slowly getting there...

OneWayTraffic
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by OneWayTraffic » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:01 am

I will add that if you plan to row much that skeg could be a bit bigger unless your skills are better than mine. I gave up rowing after one attempt and use outboard and paddle. It’s all you need really.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:10 am

Well, there's rowing and there's rowing. I don't think you'll make three knots with a paddle and a mile will be very tedious. If you are really going to use your own muscle with no outboard for anything longer than 100 yards, I would go with real oars and the skeg size the designer specified. What's the downside?
Tony

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:00 pm

We probably will be rowing here and there for fun. We do want to put oar locks on it. I'll be towing it behind my boat for long weekends anchored out. Might just use oars to get to shore. I bet it would tow better with a skeg too.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:35 am

Go ahead and do some quickfair. :) All will be glad you did. Recognizing a taped hull is one thing, but seeing the biax weave clearly, with unfilled deeper areas, is another. Maintenance will also be easier if there is a smooth faired surface over the tape, even if one can still recognize a taped hull structure. Do some quickfair or other fairing compound, even if it is minimal, imho. :D

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:42 am

And... if you ever flip in the water (may it never be), the skeg is something to grab hold of for a grip and for leverage to correct the situation. At the leisurely displacement speed of a D5, you want that skeg. You may find that the vee isn't deep enough to adequately stabilize the tracking of a short and wide hull like the D5, without some sort of minimal skeg. Don't want to find that out after launching, when it is plenty easy to bond it on now at this stage. That vee will help slightly ease some motion and slapping in a "sea", but I suspect that even the small skeg will help the tracking more than that vee alone ever could. Just think of how much even a small rudder helps with tracking, and how steering becomes a creative challenge without a rudder. The skeg is your friend. :)

Planing boats when up on plane, might do with only some strakes, and no "skeg", but if they have the strakes it is likely because they need them for tracking. On a D5, its a skeg. :wink: