FL12 - UK

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
uknewbie
New Poster
New Poster

FL12 - UK

Post by uknewbie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:08 am

Hi all, I'm new to boat building but excited to get stuck in. I've just purchased the plans for the FL12 and although I haven't started yet I've begun to price up materials and continue to go over the plans and read up on potential pitfalls on the forum etc.

I don't want to compromise the quality of the boat but I am working on a tight budget so would really appreciate any feedback from builders(UK in particular) where are the best places are to purchase ply, epoxy, oars etc.

I will use this thread to document my progress.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FL12 - UK

Post by Jeff » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:14 am

Welcome uknewbie!! You will find good help and guidance here at our Builders Forum. And yes, there are quite a few builders in the UK!! Again, welcome, Jeff

uknewbie
New Poster
New Poster

Post by uknewbie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:34 pm

OK, I'm really kicking myself for not starting this project earlier as we are now ending the best summer in the UK since 1976. When I say 'best' I mean consistently dry fine days for weeks on end which is almost unheard of in the UK.
Anyway, my ply has arrived and I made a start today by measuring and cutting out the side pieces:

I used a jigsaw in the end to do the cuts as I really didn't have confidence in using my circular saw for this level of detail. The plans recommend using a circular saw but I now think they are referring to a smaller tool than mine.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:04 am

First welcome to the fun :D Ask questions and post pictures and you will get lots of help. If you set the blade so it just goes through the plywood you can cut very clean lines and curves even with a full size circular saw. It does look like you did a good job with the jig saw. Do not worry about making perfect cuts. Wood workers always have a problem trying to make perfect cuts. In this style of building gaps are good. :D
You will be amazed at the vast amount of knowledge on this forum from all over the world so ask when you need to. And many times someone will spot a problem from a picture so post plenty.