SK14 build question

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Farris
New Poster
New Poster

Re: SK14 build question

Post by Farris » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:50 pm

Understood. Here's what I've done so far. I purchased the SK plans and have drawn them in my CAD. I plan to check and double check each measurement then scale the parts up by 10%. I'll re-check the measurements after. Another question: if the scaling idea works, will I use the same 6mm ply and fiberglass layup? The frame spacing will be larger in the scaled version. Will I need to adjust the fiberglass layup to compensate? More cloth? Different cloth?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:03 pm

No change in glass specs. It should work but the volume will go down by about 30% (0.9 exponent 3). I hope you are not too heavy.
Keep us up to date on that customization.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Farris
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Farris » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:07 pm

Mr. Mertens,

Please forgive my ignorance. What volume will be reduced 30%? Are you recommending against upscaling the design? You mentioned my weight. Would upscaling the boat make it handle a load different or unsafe in some way? Sorry for all the questions.

Farris
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Farris » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:07 pm

After consideration, it may be better to take the advise of others and look at a slightly larger (as designed) boat like the FS14LS. I noticed a foam sandwich version that would be lighter thus making my existing engine a little more efficient at speed. I purchased the FS14LS plans but I just read that the foam version is a separate set. I can't find those on the website. Does the foam version come in a kit (CNC cut parts) or do I lay out and cut those pieces at home?

Edit:

I just read through some of the tutorials and faq's. I hit the search function and read a few related posts as well. It looks like I would be better off to either build the SK14 (as designed) from the plywood kit understanding that it will be a one man craft and look for a lighter engine or build the FS14LS (as designed) from a plywood kit to eliminate any of the foam guess work then look for a 15-20 hp engine which would yield a 1-2 man craft that would run reasonably well through light ICW chop from time to time. Given those options, I'm leaning more toward the FS. I'd have to stretch my budget a little however I think I'd end up with a better finished product.

Decisions, decisions...
Last edited by Farris on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:45 pm

Farris wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:07 pm
Mr. Mertens,

Please forgive my ignorance. What volume will be reduced 30%? Are you recommending against upscaling the design? You mentioned my weight. Would upscaling the boat make it handle a load different or unsafe in some way? Sorry for all the questions.
I never want to speak for Mr. Mertens but I am pretty sure if you are scaling up the volume will be larger. He may have thought you were scaling down.

As for building out of foam I do not think you will save any weight on the smaller boats. You need to use more resin and glass if building in foam so until you get up to around 20 foot hulls there is no gain. But the cost will be around double just so you can say no wood in the hull.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:03 am

My mistake, I thought he was scaling down. Sorry, I replied too fast as I often do.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Farris
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Farris » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:17 am

Good morning,

I've been all over the place with this build decision :roll: . I finally ironed out a plan and am eager to get started. I drew the SK14 plans in my CAD and scaled them up 10% which will make a boat that's ~ 15.5' long with a 54" beam. That should be perfect for my needs. I'm hoping my DF9.9 will work out in the end after all. Anyway, I've made a few modifications to the design such as adding a small bilge against the transom for the installation of a live well pump. I converted a 20 qt Rtic cooler to a live well for my kayak some time ago. It looks like it will fit nicely between the transom and the grab bar and double as a seat when anchored or drifting. We'll see. I'm thinking about using 9mm ply for the stringers and frames and 6mm for the skin and deck. I'll add an additional frame between frame "B" and the transom to help support the larger sole. I have a sheet of 1" coosa board on hand for the transom. I haven't fully committed to the 9mm idea yet. Thoughts?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:16 pm

If it were me I would make the transom out of plywood if I were making the rest of the hull out of plywood.
And if the hull were foam I would go with coosia or another foam for the transom. But that is just me :D The best part of building your own boat is you can do it the way you want to :wink: