GV10 Stop and Start Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by MikeyGnz » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:24 am

I'm sure I've made some headway but it doesn't look much different.

Cleats welded on to transom

5 of the 6 stringers/bottom stiffeners welded in

Some welds there that I'm really happy with, but others that I hope you don't zoom in on.

With my changes to the design I'm not sure if I need the transom knees shown on plans or if the cleats will provide the same effect. I've put a photo of a mock-up in the questions section. See this post for more details viewtopic.php?f=1&p=463863#p463863

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:12 am

Fun to watch. Thanks for posting. I, too, do not weld. So every weld is better than mine!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MikeyGnz » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:46 am

Life has been getting in the way lately but I finally managed some build time this weekend.

Got the stringers welded in the forward section. They are only light 12x12x1.6mm angle. I needed to go light so I could bend them to the hull profile but with the stitch welds every 50mm/2" they should still add some stiffness. Bottom panels seem very stiff as is but easier to add now than later if they turn out to be needed. My only worry is the sharp corner of the angle being hard on the feet.

Last of the mid section stringers welded in. These are 20x20x3mm channel with a 3mm radius on corners so should be easy enough on the feet.

Cleats partially welded in on the rear seat. Ran out of gas so some parts only tacked while others completely welded. I still need to add cleats along the side panels but will be doing this later in the build so I have easy access to weld up the stitching holes.

The build so far. Doesn't look too different than the last time I posted but it is a lot of the little fiddly bits done. Next is to finish welding the cleats, unbolt the stiffening 3 by 2s and fill the stitch holes. Then I can do a watertightness test.

I didn't add a photo but I have also started on a launching trolley. It will be relatively heavily built with an axle held on by U bolts. In future it should be easy to unbolt the axle and add springs to turn into a road legal trailer. Would need to add lights as well.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:54 pm

It looks like you are getting it together and still fair. That has to be a tough thing to do.

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MikeyGnz » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:32 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:54 pm
It looks like you are getting it together and still fair. That has to be a tough thing to do.
A lot of distortion in the bottom panels but I have plans. First I need to get the holes filled and all welds ground fair then I will be attacking some areas with a power hammer.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:49 am

Really cool build!!! Jeff

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MikeyGnz » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:26 pm

With covid-19 now hitting NZ the whole country is going into isolation for 4 weeks starting tomorrow.

Did some welding last night to use up the rest of my argon so I could get new supplies today that will hopefully be enough the finish the boat. The last little bits of the chine and keel seams are now welded, cleats that were tacked last time now welded and about 25% of the stitching holes filled.

No photos this time round, you'll all have to wit for the weekend when I do some more.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:22 pm

Well if you are trapped at home it is good time to melt some metal :D

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MikeyGnz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:12 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:22 pm
Well if you are trapped at home it is good time to melt some metal :D
I wish I was free to work on the boat. I've had to take computer and everything home and set up an office there.