Adam’s FL14 repairs and other nonsense

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Adam’s FL14 repairs and other nonsense

Post by Jaysen » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:33 pm

Well... if y’all didn’t figure it out Adam and I tend to hang out and get Into trouble. He bought the FL14 on my recommendation and because I told him “it’s just some wood, glass and paint... we can fix anything that happens!” After this weekend’s escapades he took me up on that.

Yo understand this fort repair I need to explain the problem. The FL14 rub rail showed a little checking. When the FL and I started the fishing trip in much bigger water than expected, I heard a strange sound from starboard and noticed the rub rail splitting open quite a bit more. Today I pulled out a bit of wet wood. Here is the requisite photo for BB Sig and Fuzz...

The plan is to let it dry, fill with silica thickened epoxy, smooth it and paint it. Yes this is not the perfect plan, but that can wait till fall. Then I will cut the entire rail off and replace with new wood.

Why wait till fall? Because adam wants to do the following as well:
* glass the exterior bottom and 4” of sides
* graphite the bottom
* paint sides
* perm mount safety gear to reduce loose crap in boat
* glass rub rail
* rebuild lids

I can make a quick fix for him in a day. That stuff will be a couple weeks. And it’s fishing season. So prioritizing water over “perfect fix”.

Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Adam’s FL14 repairs and other nonsense

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:37 pm

Then maybe consider NOT going out in rough water? :doh:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:47 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:37 pm
Then maybe consider NOT going out in rough water? :doh:
I mean... sure. But what fun is that?

Seriously though... the mistake was all on me. We launched from a different point and I didn’t call anyone about the sea state exiting the creek into the sound. And as you’ve also noticed, I sometimes go out in rougher conditions on purpose. I’d rather choose my risk than have it forced on me by mom nature.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:14 pm

Wow! Do you think there was already a void prior to it starting to split or is that just the result of the start of the split?

I'm sure you influenced Adam on "his" wish list. :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:32 pm

I think the ply on the rails is failing. The paint was checked on the plies that are endgrain exposed. The plies that edge exposed are still solid. I took out about 1” past the softest sections. I put a bit of pressure on the outside of the rail and if it opened a crack with pressure I took a bit more out. At this point I can’t open a new split by hand but the wood is a bit damp. Should be dried out in a day or so.

And yes. I may have counseled some of those points. He didn’t like the boat bottom hitting things and scratching the paint. The checking on the rubrail was driving him nuts before our jaunt. Getting stuff secured in the hull just makes sense. None of it is hard. Just needs to get done.
Jaysen wrote:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:52 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:47 pm

I mean... sure. But what fun is that?

Seriously though... the mistake was all on me. We launched from a different point and I didn’t call anyone about the sea state exiting the creek into the sound. And as you’ve also noticed, I sometimes go out in rougher conditions on purpose. I’d rather choose my risk than have it forced on me by mom nature.
Yes, I do agree with you that point. Mother Nature can really get wild at times and knowing how to handle what is tosses out is best learn before she pitches.

Both in my kayak fishing days and then in the canoe, we have seen rough seas that bigger boats stayed home. Can't wait to get my FS14 in some of it!! :D
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 pm

All I got to say is "you broke it, you fix it" :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 pm
All I got to say is "you broke it, you fix it" :lol:
Yep. I’m living that.
Jaysen wrote:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:22 pm

I managed not to set Adam’s boat in fire with a sealing coat of neat epoxy with fast hardener. 60min later it was tacky but hard so I filled with SLOW gardener and silica. The observant will comment on a couple lumps of silica visible. This repair needs to last till December when we will cut the whole rail off and replace. Those lumps won’t matter.

Pics for Fuzz.

The mix is actually proud of the surface. The wood is dark on the edges. Should shrink and/or sand flush.
Jaysen wrote:

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:28 pm

It'll hold till the SOB is let loose! :lol: