V10 - The Blue Pearl

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
isofuncurves
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

V10 - The Blue Pearl

Post by isofuncurves » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:39 pm

Well, it is finally official. I started cutting ply the other day so it looks like this project is finally kicked off in earnest!! I plan to use this thread as my build log. Pictures for the build will be here:

http://boat.biopharmproject.com

I have never built a boat before and haven't done much of anything with my hands. If this boat floats when I'm done...anybody can do it.

So far I have transferred the dimensions to the 1/4-in ply, clamped two sheets together, and started cutting. I was reminded several times to flip one sheet over so the mirror side would be right. In my excitement to start cutting...I forgot.

I haven't ordered the epoxy and tape yet and I find myself wishing I had. It doesn't take long to cut the ply and I'd love to start assembling the bottom panels.

Regards,
Carl J. Hixon

jaygee
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jaygee » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:33 pm

Hi Iso,

I saw your post and your location, and was curious where you got your plywood? I am about to start a canoe in a week or so.

Good luck
Jay

isofuncurves
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by isofuncurves » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:57 pm

Jaygee,
I picked up my plywood at Cut and Dry Hardwood in Solona Beach. http://www.cutanddry.com It isn't something that they normally stock but I called on a Wednesday at Noon and they called me Thursday and said it was ready for pickup. The gentleman that I talked to said that they don't sell much marine plywood but, he did have a customer recently build a cedar kayak. Here is what I paid for Okoume Mahog. Ply:

6mm $65.00
9mm $73.50
18mm $140.00

I didn't shop around and you may find it cheaper. If you find another good source, I'd like to hear about it. I can see how this becomes addictive.

Good luck.

[Update] I see that Cut and Dry ordered my plywood from Frost Lumber on Miramar road. I assume that they marked it up a bit so I will probably shop at Frost next time. http://www.frosthardwood.com/
Last edited by isofuncurves on Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Carl J. Hixon

jaygee
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jaygee » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:57 am

Iso

Very good of you to reply. I found a place near L.A. called Allied Veneer (alliedveneer.com). They quoted me about $40 per sheet for 6mm. The canoe I`m building ( Hiawatha 16) only requires 6mm so I wouldn`t know about 9 or 12mm. It was the photo you posted of the Hydrotek trademark that piqued my interest- if you look up Allied Veneer on- line you`ll see they have that same wood.

Good Luck
Jay

isofuncurves
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Build update

Post by isofuncurves » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:22 pm

I am making slow progress on the blue pearl. She is stitched together and tonight I put small epoxy stitches down so I can remove the zip ties on Sunday (just to be safe). I'm a bit nervous that she is going to explode when I take off the zip ties but I want them out before I try to run smooth fillets.

She measures out as symmetrical but she isn't perfect by any means. I'm getting impatient and need to get that urge under control. I've decided to leave the underseat areas open. I will paint them and plan to put a 4-in access port under the rear seat and a 6-in portal under the front seat. I have pretty much decided on the 2hp Honda with clutch; I'm going to wait until I get closer to completion before buying it though. She could turn into an expensive pile of firewood at any time...

Making nice fillets is going to be a challenge if my first attempt at putting in the small ones to stitch her together is any indication. I am not a neat person. Apparently I work too slow as well. Even with slow hardener, I can't use 200 ml of epoxy with out wasting about 50% of it. I'm willing to bet I will use the 3 gallon kit I bought with 1-gallon ending up in the trash can as hard paperweights.

http://boat.biopharmproject.com
Regards,
Carl J. Hixon

Laszlo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Laszlo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:05 am

Jay,

Slow progress is progress, nonetheless. Don't worry about it. It's not a race. The build hours in the plans description is an optimistic serving suggestion. All it means is that some builder somewhere can put it together in that time, not that every builder will. You don't have to beat that time or even come close.

The easiest way to beat the slow messiness problem is to practice. Take some scrap pieces, stitch them together and make fillets. While you're doing this, leave the ties in the boat. It'll give the wood a chance to adjust to its new shape, as well as letting the tack stitches cure even more. Less chance of the big sproing that way.

Things to do to make better, quicker fillets:

1. Experiment with the mix thickness. Try to use only enough woodflour to keep the fillets from running. Use less flour in the flat and horizontal seams than on the vertical ones.

2. Use a spoon, a rounded putty knife, a glass bottle, etc, to spread the putty into the seam. Use a flat putty knife to scrape up the glop from either side once the fillet is laid.

3. Don't worry if the fillet isn't perfectly smooth. Brush it with epoxy to smooth it down. If it's really runny, you may need to let it cure a few minutes before brushing.

4. Alternatively, use your gloved finger as an applicator. You'll feel everything and have really good control (after sufficient practice).

5. While this has never really worked well for me, other builders have had great success using a pastry bag to dispense the putty. Someone who knows what they're doing with a bag (not me) can fillet V10 in 15 minutes.

6. Be prepared. Have lots of gloves, stirrers, putty knives, applicators, brushes, etc. on hand. Don't run out of something just as you need it.

Practicing is the best bet. There's nothing really complicated about a good fillet. It's just an acquired skill, and a pretty simple one. The problems come when you're trying to learn that skill on your first masterpiece while you're running out of epoxy & woodflour. Separate the training from the building and you lose the stress. Don't go anywhere near the boat until you know what you're doing and you won't have to worry about messing things up. In the long run, you'll be saving on epoxy & woodflour, too.

You can do it. Remember, we're pulling for you. We're all in this together. :-)

Laszlo

msujmccorm
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by msujmccorm » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:53 am

Laszlo's post is right on. The mixture thickness is key. To thin and it runs, to thick(dry) and you just don't get a smooth fillet. I use the ziploc bag to squeeze a bead into the joint and come back with a rubber kitchen spatula to get the radius. My problem was how much to mix for each section. You can always mix more but you can't use the stuff in the trash can. When using my (gloved) finger I found it easier to wet the finger with epoxy to keep from dragging the fillet.
You can do it!
Good luck.
Jeff
fl14 done, can't decide what's next!

Russ5924
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Russ5924 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:58 pm

I tried the plastic bag and it was OK but I found was just as happy using a tea spoon. I also seemed to waste more when I was gluing always had some left over and nothing to use it on. Where the epoxy you could always find place to put it. I would think out of the gallon and a half I lost about three cups not to bad but was all glue. Don't leave it in the pot get something so you can spread it out so won't set as fast. I have been using those plastic trays you get when you buy meat.

isofuncurves
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

SPROING

Post by isofuncurves » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:18 pm

Well, Houston, we have a problem. It would seem that I took out the zip ties too soon on the front of the boat. This happened slowly after I walked away. How should I correct the problem. The lazy man in me thinks that I should just grind it fair and use a few layers of glass. However, I suspect that this will make this area very week as it may be through all of the plywood for a few square inches and shouldn't this the be one of the strongest parts of the boat?

Regards,
Carl J. Hixon

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:24 pm

Grind and fiberglass. It will not be weaker.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com