**Dave's FL14** Splashed!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
davekf
Active Poster
Active Poster

**Dave's FL14** Splashed!

Post by davekf » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:40 pm

It's time to get to work. :D I tend to study and analyze things to death before taking action. I finally bought the plans and will try to document my build here.

I chose the FL14 to build for use on mostly mountain lakes. I want to build a larger sail boat in the future and this will be a good way to learn the needed skills.

-Dave
Last edited by davekf on Sun May 17, 2009 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ross61
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ross61 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:27 pm

Good Luck Dave!!

This is a great boat. Be sure to do some searches on the forum. Several years back there were many of us building this boat and there were a lot of posts.

Have fun!!

Ross

davekf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by davekf » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:47 pm

I went out and bought some plywood today. Found some 3/8" Meranti 6566 and some 1/4" Okoume 1088. I hope it's the right stuff. I've attached a few pics of it. :D

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:55 am

Dave that looks like really good stuff. Definately what you need.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

PaulMcClure
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PaulMcClure » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:55 am

Dave,
That looks like good ply. I built an FL14 a few years back, it's a great little boat. I can vouch for how strong it is - mine is currently completely full of water with no leaks ;-) I really must empty the thing out and invert it...

davekf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by davekf » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:46 am

This wood looks so good and cost so much that I'm affraid to cut into it! :help:

Paul... a couple alternative uses for your FL14.

Bath tub
Fish pond
?

-Dave :D

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:10 am

If you think it looks good now, just wait until it's shaped like a boat. When you get it all coated with epoxy you won't want to paint that pretty wood. :D
CC, D15, V10

ross61
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ross61 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:29 pm

Dave,

Your boat should last close to forever using that high quality wood. As a reference, I built mine 4 yrs ago with inexpensive ACX plywood, no exterior fiberglass cloth and latex paint, graphite on the bottom. It lives outside in the Wisconsin winter and shows no sign of checking and still looks good. I did repaint the interior to pretty it up as I might sell it in the spring.

Have Fun!!

Ross

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:24 pm

Thats exactly the wood we sell - Joubert Okoume 1088

Its the best. You will not be sorry

PaulMcClure
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PaulMcClure » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:27 pm

Dave, last summer the kids were sitting on the seats with fishing nets catching the bugs that were swimming in the boat ;-)

I feel a bit bad about it. It's a great boat but just not that well suited to the conditions near me. It's great for lakes and calm waters, but the flat bottom pounds a bit in a chop, which is the usual conditions where I am. But then, it wasn't designed for those conditions, so that's my fault, not the boats. I did suggest using it as a club boat in the loch I fish for trout in, but apparently the insurance will not allow boats to be used there. I've offered it to a friend who has a use for it, if not I have another house with a loch nearby that I fish a few times a year - I'll just take it over there and use it when I'm over.

I will say however that the boat is very stable and I didn't scare myself in it, despite being out in less than ideal conditions a few times. The only reason I'm not still using it is that I bought a 21' sports boat with a 150HP inboard that I can fit more people in and go further and faster :D