FL14- first project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:22 pm

I certainly understand Duke's neighbor wanting to spray everything. I used the Wagner on all 3 boats. I'm real happy with the results I get from it.
The Cheap Canoe was painted with the Wagner fine mist:
And so was the interior of my D15:

Go for it. 8)

CC, D15, V10

eshell
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eshell » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:58 am

Another weekend passing by with minimal boat work. Started out with the best intentions but in the end, just couldn't spend the time.
Oh well, one of thees days!!

Thanks for watching,

Ernie
FL14

Dukydo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dukydo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:37 am

Ernie,

What tasks did you have on your calendar for this past weekend? Are they the same ones that went to the next weekend file? :wink:

I had this June down as SPLASH time. But it's been moved to June 2009 :roll: But I have a good reason.... all the water within splashing distance is flooded and the ramps are all under water.

Duke

eshell
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eshell » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:55 pm

Well, this weekend was supposed to be "Fairing" weekend but it was not to be. I was trying to work towards launch by mid July but that may slip a little. What I need is for the distractions to go away. Work, work work... that's all I ever hear about, never any time for recreation! My boss just doesn't get it :(

Ernie
FL14

eshell
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eshell » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:55 pm

Well I’ve been getting a little boat work done. I’ve faired the inside and have 2 coats of primer on. I think I’ll completely finish the inside, final paint and all, before finishing the outside.

The quality of my finishing work really isn’t all that good. I feel very confident that structurally the boat is as strong as any but it just will not be a showboat! Oh well, we will enjoy it just as much anyway. Actually, I’m learning a lot and if I do as I want and move on over the winter to another build, the next one will be better.

The fairing material is very hard to sand. I used epoxy mixed with blended filler for fairing and it seemed very, very hard. I did buy a small batch of Quickfair and am going to give it a try this weekend to clean up a couple of especially rough areas. Boy, am I ever going to be mad at myself if it turns out to be the magic potion and sands down easy!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Ernie
FL14

Dukydo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dukydo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:51 pm

Ernie,

You better be prepared to be upset. Quickfair is the bomb. 8)

Will you splash this summer? Too many setbacks for me... maybe next summer. :roll: I'll be sad when its finished.

duke

eshell
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eshell » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:34 am

Oh Man! Quick Fare rocks!
There is absoloutely no comparison between sanding down Quickfair and the mixture I used. It could actually be hand sanded!
I have no intention of going back and totaly redoing the inside but at least the outside will hopefully turn out better. Had I used Quickfair in the first place it would have made a signifigant difference to my boats finished look. I really missed the boat on that one. Oh well, live and learn!

Duke, sorry to hear you may not get on the water this year, hope all is well otherwise. Your boat is looking great, you really have something to be proud of!

Ernie
FL14

JohnC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JohnC » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi Ernie,
I'm jumping in a little late on this thread, but I too am thinking of building an FL12 or FL14 in hopes of building a larger boat (HMD19) later. It would give me a better idea of what's involved in epoxy, fiberglass and all that sa.a.a.a.a.a.a.nding I keep hearing about! One quick question, I am thinking of using just regular exterior plywood as long as it is of decent quality (about $17.00/sheet here). Has this worked out OK on your build?

John

PS: I sold my snowblower and put the snow shovel in the trash can when I left the shores of Lake Erie.

eshell
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eshell » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:45 pm

John,
The less expensive plywood I used worked out OK for me for this application. I will end up learning an awful lot about boat building and will be able to transfer those new found skills over to the next build. If I was to have made a bad cut and wasted a whole sheet of plywood, no big deal... just another learning experiance.
However, if I had it to do over again, or if the next boat I build also does not really require the gold standard of plywood, I would still look for the best grade I felt I could reasonably afford. In the whole big scheme of things, the total cost of plywood isn't that big a percent of total cost. Between epoxy, paint, misc supplies, the odd power tool, etc, etc.......
I think my plywood cost a total of about $100. If I spent $300 on plywood it still wouldn't make a huge impact, percent wise, on total cost. And it just doesn't mater how much body fill you put on or how thick you put on the paint, it's hard to make cheap wood look good, at least at my skill level. As a friend of mine said at work, talking about something we had there, it's like putting perfume on a pig.... in the end it's still a pig!

Just my 2 cents worth!

Ernie
FL14

PaulMcClure
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PaulMcClure » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:04 pm

I've got to agree with Ernie. I used exterior WPB on my first build, an FL14, and while it was "OK" it wasn't great. But also be careful if you go for BS1088. I ordered some from a local sawmill for an N7 I'm building and it is not in all honesty great ply. the 6mm has three laminates, one thick inner and two thin outers. I suspect it got the BS1088 stamp somewhere between the sawmill and the front desk. If I had gone to pick it up I'd have rejected it, but a friend picked it up for me.

Go for good quality multi-laminate BS1088. It's better to work with, stronger and easier to fair. It is a bit more expensive, but it's less work, so why not?