FL14- first project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
eshell
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Refillable caling tubes

Post by eshell » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:29 pm

Made a few inches of fillet using the refillable calking tubes. It was pretty cool. I think it is something that can make a complete novice look pretty good. I think when I get a good half or even full day to really concentrate, these tubes will speed up the process greatly.

Ernie

FL14

Dukydo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dukydo » Fri May 09, 2008 1:52 am

Ernie

Hows it comming with the boat? Its been a few weeks. As for me it seems there is always something to get in the way of my working on the boat.

Duke

eshell
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eshell » Fri May 09, 2008 2:27 pm

Hey Duke,

Going very well but a little slow. As I mentioned somewhere before, work, etc. keeps getting in the way.

I have the boat right side up and am starting to fillet/fiberglass the inside. When I say starting, I'm using the term kind of loosly. Actually I'm walking past it going to work and saying to myself "gota get started!" If I could only get a full day or even half day I could really make some headway. I probably could have made a bit of spare time and got a little further but having never made good, finished quality fillets or any fiberglassing at all, it's sitting out there as a kind of wall that I have to push through and get the first batch done. I'm sure after that my confidence will be higher and it will go a lot faster.

Anyway, thanks for asking and I'll post another update when I get some good progress behind me.

Ernie
FL14

Dukydo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dukydo » Mon May 19, 2008 1:13 am

Ernie,

Its been 10 days. Whats up? Got any pictures?

Duke

eshell
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eshell » Tue May 20, 2008 1:13 pm

Hey Duke,
Things are moving along now. I have almost all the interior seams done but just ran out of filler for some reason. Perhaps I'm making my fillets too large. I feel they aren't but really have nothing to compare them to. Anyway, no problem, I ordered some more and will get back at it on the weekend. Actually I have enough left to work on some seat cleats so will be able to keep busy.
Slow at work this week so have quite a bit of spare time to put towards the really important things in life!
I think I'm doing quite well as far as not using too much epoxy. I put the fiberglass on a sheet of plastic, drizzel the epoxy over it, lay another piece of plastic on top then use a hard roller to roll it out. I made a simple video of this and will see if it can be uploaded to my blog.
Still haven't broken out the second gallon of resin yet so I feel there will be no problem having enough.

Will try to get a few more pics on the blog later today (would do it now but there's this thing about the grass needing cut!!)

Ernie
FL14

eshell
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eshell » Tue May 20, 2008 8:35 pm

As I said above, I ran out of wood fiber today, significantly earlier than I should have. I called down to the folks in Florida to ask a question regarding what size bag to order and as luck would have it, I spoke with Jacques M. He felt I may have been making my fillets too large, especially when I told him I was using a tea spoon to make the fillets.
Perhaps so but I have gone through quite a few pictures now of other examples and I really believe mine are about standard size.
The spoon actually works very well. By holding it 90 degrees to the joint, the fillet has a very small radius. As you decrease this angle, the fillet radius increases. You can really work it to get a very neat fillet.... and quickly too I may add. Between using the West System fillable caulking tubes and the spoon tool, I could probably do every seam in the boat in no time flat. (disclaimer... requires the use of assistant to keep flow of epoxy and "peanut butter " coming at proper timing). Anyway, waiting not so patiently for more wood fiber.

I just can't tell you how much fun I am having building this boat. It is going to be a major letdown the day I finish because I won't be able to go out to the workshop (garage) and build. Better think of another boat to build!!

Ernie
FL14

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sds » Tue May 20, 2008 9:25 pm

The build looks good eshell. Very clean work.

The caulking tubes seem like a good way to apply a filet.

A few questions: How much mix are you able to run through those at a time? Any problems with the epoxy kicking in the tube? What speed hardener are you using and at what temperature?

Sorry for all the questions. :lol: Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Keep up the good work and the blogging.

Scott

eshell
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eshell » Tue May 20, 2008 10:01 pm

Thanks Scott, I appreciate the comments.

I am using the Marinepoxy with medium hardener and the pump dispensers. I try not to get too far ahead of myself so work with fairly small batches. Can’t quantify it in weight or volume but I haven’t been making my fillet batches any larger (or smaller) than 4 pumps of resin to 2 pumps of hardener. However much that makes, I have been able to run up to 3 batches through one tube without problems. Don’t know if I could have done more, that was just as far as I ever got before having to move on.
I have a digital thermometer sitting in the boat and seem to be working mostly in 60 – 65 degree temps. I never had the epoxy kick off in the tube, probably because of 1) the size of batch (used it up fast) and 2) the cool temps.

They are running around $3.50 for 2 tubes. I’ve probably used up 4 or 5 so far and 2 or 3 to go. I’ve learned a lot though so if I was to do the same boat over again and had a reliable assistant (no offense to my very supportive but mostly conveniently absent wife) I could probably cut that in half.

Ernie
FL14

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sds » Tue May 20, 2008 11:48 pm

Thanks Eshell.

Sounds like a good system -- if it keeps from wasting epoxy, it might pay for itself. On a cool day, with slow hardener... you could probably get alot of seam done, with one tube. 8)

If you run out, I see them at BBC here for $1.55 each:

http://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetai ... M_4805_810

Scott

eshell
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Measure Once, Cut Twice

Post by eshell » Fri May 23, 2008 9:28 pm

Just in case anyone changed the plans for their FL14 by reducing the dimensions about 3/4 of an inch all around, I've got a couple of seat tops you might have a use for. :oops:
FL14