WouldWork's V12, Sailing version

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: WouldWork's V12, Sailing version

Post by WouldWork » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:51 pm

Th weather finally came good, and I am recovered from a flu that had me out of action for a couple of weeks.

On the home stretch now, epoxy coats sanded smooth and 2 clear coats on the bottom done. It'll get another 2 coats of clear tomorrow, then comes another not so big flip and I'll start on the inside.

The rubrails are still rather ugly, but they're to be painted.

So I'll epoxy coat the inside, sand it smooth as well as the rubrails, then paint the rubrails and seat frames, then 4 clear coats to finish up. Then.... Um.... Then I think that's it!

Take care all

Cam.

Completed: CC14 Canoe and V12 sail boat.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:39 pm

That right there is some pretty work :!: No way I would ever try to finish my work bright like that :( Amazing , clean job you are doing.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:33 am

Beautiful finish!!! Yes, get us interior photos when possible. Again, really beautiful work!! Jeff

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:05 am

Yes, quite amazing how nice you've faired everything without fairing compound. I don't think I would ever even attempt that.
You say "clear coat" but maybe I missed what it is you are using?
Tony

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:57 am

W and T must be hanging out together.

I will say though... that ply looks might sharp all shiny like that. I may need to rethink my "paint it all" policy.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:14 am

That my friend is a GORGEOUS boat.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:57 am

Beautiful work 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Thanks guys! Really, thanks a lot! Makes all the sanding and sweating worth it when you get awesome comments. Believe me though, she has some rough spots - she's far from perfect. It's a finish I'm happy with though which is exactly where it needs to be.

Tony it's just a 2 part polyeurethane finish - I apologise if my 'clear coat' terminology is confusing. Lovely woodgrain is actually rather forgiving when it comes to fairing. The designer did the hard work, I just try to get it right. Largely a fluke I think. It doesn't have to be perfectly flat to look that way as the grain hides minor blemishes. I love the look. The timber is always going to be a slightly different shade under the FG but it's not too noticeable. She's going to look great on the lake under sail, just hope she's not upside down for most of it. Haha.

The bottom is now officially complete. I'll flip her tomorrow and start on the inside with plenty of pics I promise. If I spend the whole day sanding it won't get a finish coat until Monday so I'll update some pics then.

Pics to come as soon as the inside starts to look pretty.

Thanks again guys.

Cam.

Buz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Buz » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:46 pm

Wow! Your boat is inspiration for this new boatbuilder!

Your comment about the effect of the wood grain toward the need for final fairing has me rethinking things before I even get started.
You only need patience if you'd rather be doing something else.

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:53 pm

Just painted a small piece of ply for a colour comparison. The rub rails and seat frames and maybe the daggerboard trunk will be this colour. It's a slightly metallic colour so had a bit of sparkle in the sunlight.

Buz, just a point to consider....

My first build was a CC14, the free and basic canoe on this site. I remember when I resin coated it, it looked awesome - it looked even and flat and smooth. I was such a newb I thought it would be fine to go ahead and paint. Needless to say once painted I noticed so many sopts that needed much more fairing. I did a bit more to it and finished it off nicely but the point I make is that you can get away with less fairing when you're not painting. It does mean you have to put a lot of effort into getting her straight and flat and even as you're always aware that you can't rescue unevenness or ugly spots with fairing compound. All in all it's probably not any less work or any easier it's more just knowing what you're in for and knowing what you want to get out of it. I love my canoe, I use it all the time. And I'm loving this dinghy too so like I said, it's exactly where it needs to be.

My rubrails are ugly on this boat. I struggled with the compound cuts needed to make them meet flush at the tip of the bow. I ended up making a proxy epoxy bow point. At the transom I measures poorly and one side lined up nice while the other side was probably half an inch shorter. Again I rescued this with a thickened epoxy blob. Hence why I am painting those - I can fair and sand and smooth and everything else until happy then paint will cover what my lack of woodworking shows. It'll look 'as good' as the rest and no-one ever need know I couldn't measure and cut multi-angled pieces to meet in the same spot.

As you build though, experiment with things. Try different techniques. Read as many threads on here as possible. Always keep your own goals close and follow people with similar ideas to get it right for you. Sorry for the blab, it's just this boat building stuff is fun and rewarding as long as people are willing to help quell your doubts and inspire your dreams!

Take care all.

Cam.