WouldWork's V12, Sailing version

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: WouldWork's V12, Sailing version

Post by terrulian » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:19 am

That reminds me, I also glassed the rub rails.
Buz, you're doing the right thing. When I started my build I wanted to leave nothing clear, because I have a neurotic aversion to varnishing. (I know, Larry says EMC clear is bulletproof but there is no way my boat was going to receive delicate enough treatment to justify that kind of investment.) But as time went on and as I looked at other builds, my resolve weakened and I wanted some wood showing; but at that point, previous decisions made it impossible to do anything but paint some parts because I'd already faired them. So now's the time for you to think it through.
I ended up putting light glass on all clear areas, because once you ding the varnish by putting an oar or toolbox on it hastily, it's gone and you'll end up with a water stain requiring complete sanding and re-coating. This fear was not misplaced; I've already knocked it hard enough to have gone through varnish, but the glass has, so far, left the finish OK. Paint is much easier, in my experience, to touch up.

Tony

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:31 am

Hi guys,

I've been dealing with more rain, more illnesses but have overcome and finally have more progress...

I've sanded the inside and completed the resin coats. It still needs a bit of sanding though, there's some inconsistencies in the colour of the grain. I think due to some water stains and some areas that were previously resin coated and also the lighter patches under the FG. My experience from the outside of the hull is with each sanding and subsequent resin or clear coat, the patchy bits become less and less noticeable. Hopefully that's the case as I progress toward the finish.

Mast Partner

Mid seat

Rear seat and knees

Transom and rudder

And the front, which looks... ok... When I paint the rubrails, it will lap over the top a little to cover the thickened resin edge you see here.

Like I said, the patchiness reduces with more sanding and coating. I'll keep working it until it looks as nice as the outside. There's also a bit of excess resin runs and blobs that need to be flattened and smoothed. It's really good to get the resin on though as the boat is now sealed and the ply finally protected, and it shows the rough spots that need sanding.

Take care all.

Cam.
Completed: CC14 Canoe and V12 sail boat.

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:30 am

That looks great. How much did you cut off the bow seat to make it usable in front of the partner?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:03 am

Beautiful work!! Jeff

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:07 am

Thanks Jaysen, thanks Jeff

I actually abandoned the bow seat altogether. I remember reading somewhere in either the building notes or the forum that the bow seat isn't necessary for the sailing version as the mast partner provides the hull rigidity that the bow seat otherwise would.

What you see there is just a dry box/shelf that I put up front with a couple of off-cuts. I'm not sure of the dimensions of it, it's 10:00pm here so I'll check it in the morning when I have some light. With the reasonably short breast hook and gap between it and the partner, it's feasable it may seat a small child, but that's definitely not the program.

Thanks

Cam.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:02 am

Very sexy looking boat! Impressed!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:16 pm

Thanks cape man, I hope the maroon rubrails really set it off, we'll know soon.

Jaysen that front shelf is 500mm long x 300mm high, which is about 20 x 12 inches I think.

Cam.

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:24 am

Thanks Cam. I'll have to give it some thought once I get the bottom done and start on the inside. I like what you've got there. I may steal it shamelessly.

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:55 am

Haha no shame in stealing ideas... let's call it sharing, rather than stealing.... Which is the reason we're all on the forum. Interesting point - when I measured it for you today, I had my 6 yr old son sit on it. There really is room there for a lil one.

I re-resined some bits on the inside today, hopefully on wednesday I'll give the inside a final sanding. Then I'll paint the rubrails and go over the top with the clear stuff. That will conclude everything! Your build is pushing me, you're catching up to me... I can't let you beat me since I started 4 years ago. Haha

Take care

Cam.

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:09 am

Hi guys,

She's done! Well, I am still waiting on the sail and I will be putting a decal on each side with the name - August Dawn. I'm so excited to hit the lake.

So I guess this is my last update here, thanks for all the advice and encouragement over the last 4 years.

I'll start a thread in 'finished boats' with a bunch of pics, even though she's not yet been wet - that's ok to do? I'll update that thread with plenty of pics once she hits the water.

Thanks again, take care all

Cam.