V10 - Start

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Mike Constant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

V10 - Start

Post by Mike Constant » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:59 am

I got my V10 plans 2 weeks ago. I've been studying them and lurking about this website trying to get a concept of the entire process.
I bought the plywood at the local Home Depot and bugee corded it to the wall of my carport out of the way.
I decided to work from the full sized patterns. Tracing the tiled patterns didn't work very well so I took the sheet to work and made photocopies then cut out each side and bottom frame. I ended up with 8 pieces of paper that I could tape to the plywood and trace around to get one half of the shell parts.

Pictures here:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288337129
Last edited by Mike Constant on Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:10 am

Mike, right now...due to a hacker attack last week, the picture upload feature of this site isn't working. You might want to try uploading the pictures to a different site and then just link it to your post.

Fritz and Jacques are working on this...but it's taking time.

Hope to see some pictures soon. In the meantime ask away! :P

slitvamo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by slitvamo » Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:24 am

Mike,
Check you plans. You'll see a statement that says,

WARNING: all paper patterns stretch and shrink up to 2%. Differences may appear between dimensions and patterns. Try to use the demensions first, the dimensions are always 100% correct.

I whole heartedly suggest you use a ruler and batten to draw your pieces directly onto your plywood.

I am building a V12. I started to second guess the demensions on the bottom panles at the bow. I traced the pattern over my drawn demensions and they were different. I stuck with my drawn demensions and the panels fit like a glove.

The tutorials explain the process. It was really easy.

Have fun,
Tom

Mike Constant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hunh?

Post by Mike Constant » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:40 am

Dr B - I can't seem to get the link to my pictures thingy to work. I guess I'll wait until the website is fixed to post them.

Slit - What tutorials. I've tried to make sense of all the numbers on the plans but opted for the easy way out. Could prove to be my undoing. We'll see.

BobFordham
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hey there Mike Constant - start with free canoe plans

Post by BobFordham » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:15 pm

Download and read the free canoe plans

then go to http://www.bateau.com/

On the left hand side - How to build a boat. Read everything.

Everything you need to know is there.

in 20 days I begin a scilly gig.

Mike Constant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

How to Build a Boat

Post by Mike Constant » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:13 pm

Bob: When I go to the link that you posted and click on any of the "How to build a boat" links I get routed back here bateau2. No tutorials. I guess I'm doomed.

TimeWalker
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TimeWalker » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:32 pm

They are still rebuilding bateau2.com be patient and they will be back!

Frenchpete
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Frenchpete » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:34 am

Mike,
I'm just starting (SH-14) myself. At first I felt a bit overwhelmed at looking at the plans and I was going to transfer the fullsize patterns also, but after trying several different approaches (they were all a pain in the 'stern') :? , I decided to try what everyone suggests...to draw directly to the plywood and, know what?...I ain't that bad, really! Just keep studying those plans. Suddenly, it'll just "click". My only problem now is waiting til it warms up around here enough to epoxy; I would imagine you being in Louisiana, you can build right thru the winter, you lucky boatbuilder!
Build on and have fun.

Best regards,
Richard

BobFordham
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hey Mike

Post by BobFordham » Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:44 pm

Try the Bauteau2.com link now the how to stuff is there.

Mike Constant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

First experience with epoxy.

Post by Mike Constant » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:33 pm

I've added a few more photos at: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288337129.

I am sticking the butt joints onto the sides and am having some concerns about the epoxy. I bought MAS resin and hardener and some dispensing pumps. The hardener is supposed to dispense 4cc and the resin 8cc per pump but it seems that the resin is dispensing more than double the hardener. I mixed up four batches. I mixed Carbosil in with the first and third and used the second and fourth as dispensed. I used a 1" paint brush to apply. It seemed kind of thick, like jelly (I was expecting syrup). It went on OK but after 3 hours it would still dent when probed with a toothpick. I just went out and checked again after 8 hours and it now seems hard but very slightly sticky to the touch. The label suggested that the potlife is 3 hours at 50 degrees and it was about 60 when I applied it. It's 50 out there now.

Tomorrow I'll have to measure the dispensing rates of the pumps. I'm cleaning the brush with acetone. It seems to work OK.

Going fishing with my son tomorrow so I'll sign off now and gather my gear for an early start.