TJ's V10

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: TJ's V10

Post by terrulian » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:38 pm

Thanks for the link and also thanks for the corrections. Credit where it is due and sincere apologies to GK. :D.
Doc: I see that I stole your color design as well.
I think the knucklehead title is well deserved by both you and gk, however. 8O 8)
Last edited by terrulian on Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:35 am

Cracker Larry wrote:
Doc's at Boca Grande. sailed well.

This is debatable :oops:
There wasn't much wind that day :lol: It looked good though.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:36 am

terrulian wrote: I think the knucklehead title is well deserved by both you and gk, however. 8O 8)

:roll: :wink:
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:20 pm

Here's a little half-oval 3/8" brass strip I added to the skeg because without it, the epoxy/graphite was stripped away after one day on the rocky beach. We'll see how it does.

It was pretty much a pain to get this right, at least the way I do things. First, I sanded the graphite/epoxy on the edge of the skeg, which was rounded over. Then I drilled and countersank holes in the brass strip. This was a dicey operation, because the strip is pretty dainty to begin with and you definitely weaken it with the holes and even more with the countersink. Next, I pre-drilled some holes in the skeg to match the holes in the brass, carefully bending the brass around the curve at the end of the skeg. Then, I mixed up some glass fibers and high density filler with epoxy and glommed that onto the skeg, and put packing tape on the brass. I screwed the brass into place and waited for the epoxy to kick, and then removed the brass trying not to bend it at the sensitive spots. The point of this was to fill in the gaps on either side of the strip, between the rounded skeg and the flat side of the brass. Then I over-drilled the screw holes and filled them with thickened epoxy, and when that kicked I drilled pilot holes for the screws. Next, I smeared on a bunch of 5200 and screwed the strip on. I let that set up for a couple of days and then filed off the remnants of the epoxy and 5200. I also filed the edges of the screw heads, which were proud of the curvature of the brass...I hope I never have to get them out. Then I taped off the brass and mixed up some epoxy/graphite and re-painted the sides of the skeg. Yes, it really was that complicated, and I don't even know if it will stick. 8O I'm sure you know of a smarter way to do all of this, but please, don't tell me now. :doh:

Even the picture was a problem. The difficulty of balancing the lighting between the black hull and the semi-shiny brass did not result in an Ansel Adams level shot.
Last edited by terrulian on Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tony

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:03 am

Nice skid. :) 8)

Laszlo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Laszlo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:30 pm

terrulian wrote:Here's a little half-oval 3/8" brass strip I added to the skeg because without it, the epoxy/graphite was stripped away after one day on the rocky beach. We'll see how it does.
I did pretty much exactly the same thing, including the countersunk screws, for the same reasons on my V12 7 years ago. Still working just just fine with no maintenance. You'll be really glad you did this.

Laszlo

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:11 am

Hi Tony,
Thank You for the perfect instruction advise for the strip on the skeg. I did such a strip on my test build ( rowing ) boat but in stain less steel and I ruined a lot of drills until someone told me to drill very slow and possibly cool the drill. I will do the skeg on my AD14 with a brass strip just like you described it and maybe also the bottom of the centreboard shoe.
Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:42 am

I have found cobalt, or better yet, titanium bits last longest when drilling stainless. Doesn't hurt to dip the tip in cutting oil. Also it is helpful to use cutting oil when creating threads with taps and dies if you want a good result. But I'm not a real machinist, and don't even play one on TV.
Tony

topwater

Post by topwater » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:10 am

But you did stay at a Holiday inn express last nite :lol:
Novi 23 finally launched !

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:53 pm

With the weather cleared up, I was able to do a couple of outings and can report that the V10 rows very well. I was easily able to do 2.5 knots on flat water with no current. If I pushed it I could hit 3, but 2.5 is a better pace at about 30 strokes/minute using 8-foot oars. Jacques may have recommended 7 1/2 feet, I don't recall, but I can't complain about this performance. I weigh about 150, so I don't know what it would be like with someone heavier at the oars.

Against a little breeze, say 10 knots, you'll lose .5 knots. Haven't been out in anything above that or in any chop over about 3-4".

With two in the boat, it's not easy to row, which is to be expected. I haven't timed it but I'm sure it's a lot slower as it is significantly down at the stern.
Tony