Florida D5 #2 build...

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Q
Active Poster
Active Poster

Florida D5 #2 build...

Post by Q » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:11 am

with 8 years between the two boats. Can someone please tell me where eight years went?? :doh:

Glued up the cleats on the daggerboard and it's trunk for installation this weekend. I hope. It's good to be back building again. No one ever told me that the BBV could go dormant for that long..

I now know without a doubt or hesitation why the chicken crossed the road.....

....it was to show the armadillo it could be done.

Q
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Florida D5 #2 build...

Post by Q » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:49 pm

Been wanting to at least paint the under seat storage areas with S3 primer.... but the Summer rains are here in Central Florida, and are coming early in the work day. I did, however manage to pick up this mast and sail from a windsurfer today locally for $50. It was touted to be carbon fibre in the add, but upon closer inspection once at home after removal from the sail, it's a one-piece fiberglass mast. 2.25 inches at the mast base and 1.25 inches at the top. VERY LIGHT. Just over 15' 3" in length, and hollow.

I fear I lack the creativity to effectively utilize it correctly, but before I picked it up, my thoughts were to cut it for the mast and spar for the Sprit rig for the boat. I haven't ordered the sail yet....that's a way's off..... this was a Craigslist acquisition. I'm addicted to Craigslist.

I haven't spent any part of my cranium trying to decide what to do with the sail yet. I just rolled it up and put it away. Methinks it's application isn't suited for this boat. Thoughts? :doh:

Q
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Q » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:12 pm

Been busy, busy, busy. Neighbors are aghast that someone in this neighborhood is building a boat at home.....

Love it. :lol:

Faired the boat (outside hull) for the second time, completing yesterday... with the new System 3 Fairing Compound, no longer called Quick Fair. It's 85 here during the day, unseasonably warm... actually setting records, and the Fairing seems to be setting up quite Kwickly.....

Think I can sand tomorrow? Really want to prime and even possibly paint before weeks end.... Too Ambitious? :doh:

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:39 pm

Go for it :D Mast is from a sailboard, not a boat, but might work fine.

Beautiful dog!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Q
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Q » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:02 pm

Cracker Larry wrote:Go for it :D Mast is from a sailboard, not a boat, but might work fine.

Beautiful dog!

I'll do just that, Larry... after a quick trip to Lowes for some supplies. I'll try to get some pics In the meantime. Sail is at the sail loft, local. I expect to get the call to pick it up any day now. That mast is just a bit larger than 15 feet, and I plan to cut the mast and sprit from it.... fit it to the new sail.

Congrats on your new herd.... and thanks about the pup. I guess he's not much of a pup any more.... turned two earlier this month. He may of stopped chewing, but he's definitely a cat killer.

I've just GOT to get him out to the island camping and swimming....he loves it out there.