HC 14 "Lost Boy" Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HC 14 "Lost Boy" Build

Post by Jeff » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:46 am

Nice build!! Jeff

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:17 am

I like it! 8)

We have to keep these small boat threads updated. The big boats get all the love! :( :lol:

Browndog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Browndog » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:43 pm

Looks great! I also used the Mercer green on my canoe build. It is the "classic canoe" color and really turned out great on your build. Keep up the good work.

Stacey West
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stacey West » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:51 pm

My "Lost Boy" didn't make it to Never Land!

After 2 weeks of waiting for the paint to fully cure, I took my son and a good friend with tons of canoe and kayak experience down to the pond for the launch.

Stability was a major issue right from the start. I couldn't even get in to begin with.

We refused to give up, but after several minutes in shallow water, neither of us was comfortable pushing out to deeper water.

I had to give my son a ride in after all of the work.

We took a short paddle to say we had used it, before heading back to shore.

He was happy and didn't want to get out.

After a year working on a project with my son, I had higher hopes for long-term use of this canoe. There is no way I will ever be comfortable in using this boat on the water for anything I had intended to. My disappointment is only tempered by the fact that I learned a number of things throughout this build. Unless Jacque, or someone else can point me down a different road, looks like the future of this build will be a headboard, bookshelf, or other non-floating project.

I wish I had better news to report.

Stacey

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:15 pm

That worries me..... I am not done yet but looking forward to finishing an HC14 with my son......
One thing we did differently, I put the seats 4.5 inches closer to the center and a few inches lower than in the plans, your seats look like they are even higher than in the plans....

Honestly I have very little canoe experience, however every canoe I have ever been in felt tippy to me, does that feeling perhaps exaggerate reality? If it is warm out, and you are having fun with your son..... try tipping it over, it may be more difficult than it feels?

Did you try ballast in the bottom, and/or both riders sitting on the bottom to see how much more stable it was?
From the Study Plans wrote:Note that their hull shape is different from the "barge type" production canoes. Our canoes are narrower at the waterline which makes them fast and nimble. However, the chine must be immersed for stability. This means that they are designed to carry a load proportional to their size. Do not build the 16' version if you plan to mostly use the canoe alone. If the boat is not loaded to it's waterline, it will not have the expected stability.
The 12' version is ideal for one person, maybe one adult and a child: normal load up to 200 lbs (80kg).
The 14' version is ideal for one or two adults: between 180 and 400 lbs (75 to 180 kg).
The 16' is an ideal camping canoe (cargo type) that will be happy loaded with minimum 250 lbs and up to 500 lbs ( 90 to 225 kg). When loaded with only one person, the 16' will work better if some ballast is added.
You both look thinner than my son and I, (240 and 78lbs)...... I hope we don't run into the same problem you have :(

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:21 pm

I just went through all the CH and HC build threads again, and most of them mention trouble adapting to the stability at first, but seemed most were happy with them once they were used to it.

Don't give up yet :)

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by bigyellowtractor » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:19 am

Stacey,

I came across this

"Stability is divided into initial (primary) and final (secondary). Initial stability is what you feel when you first get into the boat. In a boat with great initial stability, you can stand up and walk around. It takes a lot of effort to flip this boat on flatwater. It resists leaning until it reaches a point of no return, beyond which it quickly upsets without much warning. That's because secondary stability was sacrificed for the stable platform of initial stability. Secondary stability refers to how the boat behaves as it tilts. A boat with great secondary stability may feel tippy at first-it's easy to lean onto its side. But it feels stable and predictable in the lean. This is a useful characteristic for whitewater moves and rough-water paddling"

as Narfi said, have another go and just mess about......

Kneel in the boat and shift your weight onto the chine panel until the rubrail is nearly in the water then get back in the middle have a go at gently rocking side to side trying to tip it over. I hope you'll be surprised at how far it will go. Also try to get paddling as fast as you can; forward motion will change things too.

Be prepared to get wet and have some fun just arsing about with your son
Last edited by bigyellowtractor on Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:47 am

Just throw some more weight in it until you get use to how it handles. try a couple of 40 LB bags of solar salt in the middle
of the boat.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Arm&Hammer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Arm&Hammer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Don't give up on the "Lost Boy" just yet! No one wants to hear that they may have to modify a boat that they just finished, but I think that you are a few adjustments away from a very usable, and useful boat. For reference, below is a link to my HC12 build:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25859&p=245230&hil ... +x#p245230

Ignoring the modifications that I made for storage & transport, it is the same hull at the waterline, but shorter, and narrower. I am 6' tall, 172 lbs. I can stand in it to stretch my legs in calm water (took me a couple of trips to try that), and I have paddled it through choppy ski-boat water. True, it is not designed to be a wide, stable platform, but the advantage of this is tracking and speed - I have put a lot of miles on it, mostly with kayakers, using a standard canoe paddle.

Just my opinions:
-The seats are really too high. Every inch counts here in regard to comfort and stability.
-I would replace the solid seats with cane or web seats. There is really no comparison in comfort, which just makes everything feel more stable, and you are more directly "connected" and in control of the vessel's movements. (The worst thing to do would be to put a cushion underneath you, further raising your COG.)

At the WORST, with some modifications, you have a very capable solo canoe, and with your experience, could build another smaller canoe for your son very quickly, or you could build an HC16.

Very good job on the paint. Your canoe looks sharp!