HC 14 "Lost Boy" Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Arm&Hammer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HC 14 "Lost Boy" Build

Post by Arm&Hammer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Don't give up on the "Lost Boy" just yet! No one wants to hear that they may have to modify a boat that they just finished, but I think that you are a few adjustments away from a very usable, and useful boat. For reference, below is a link to my HC12 build:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25859&p=245230&hil ... +x#p245230

Ignoring the modifications that I made for storage & transport, it is the same hull at the waterline, but shorter, and narrower. I am 6' tall, 172 lbs. I can stand in it to stretch my legs in calm water (took me a couple of trips to try that), and I have paddled it through choppy ski-boat water. True, it is not designed to be a wide, stable platform, but the advantage of this is tracking and speed - I have put a lot of miles on it, mostly with kayakers, using a standard canoe paddle.

Just my opinions:
-The seats are really too high. Every inch counts here in regard to comfort and stability.
-I would replace the solid seats with cane or web seats. There is really no comparison in comfort, which just makes everything feel more stable, and you are more directly "connected" and in control of the vessel's movements. (The worst thing to do would be to put a cushion underneath you, further raising your COG.)

At the WORST, with some modifications, you have a very capable solo canoe, and with your experience, could build another smaller canoe for your son very quickly, or you could build an HC16.

Very good job on the paint. Your canoe looks sharp!

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: HC 14 "Lost Boy" Build

Post by narfi » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:20 pm

I wonder if a longer paddle would help in addition to the other ideas?
It would let you sit center without twisting your body each stroke?

I keep thinking of your sons grin in his canoe and hope you can figure out a good solution to enjoy it with him!