Another SK14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Another SK14

Post by Jeff » Fri May 12, 2017 8:37 am

Dougster, call me when you have a minute - 772.770.1225. I have tried to respond to your question regarding KiwiGrip but I keep getting "Mail Failures" associated with the email address you used!! Talk with you soon, Jeff

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sat May 13, 2017 7:21 am

Hey Jeff, I'll call Monday, thanks.

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sat May 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Dougster, great and have a nice weekend!! Jeff

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sat May 27, 2017 12:56 pm

I put some fresh Kiwi on this morning. The new stuff was more creamy and better looking than the 7 year old stuff that failed, though the failure was probably related more to my tepid 220 grit sanding. I sanded more aggressively, with 100 on 180 this time, and even roughed it up with 80 a bit. Here it is taped and ready for Kiwi:

Here's she is with fresh Kiwi. Pics don't do it justice, they pick up more flat spots and lines than you really notice:

I'm happy to finish this. Since I was working on her I decided to move the battery box. It was on the port stern side and looked off center. 50 lbs of battery made it feel weird too, when I stepped over to port, say to go around the grab rail, and added my 185 lbs. to that side! Also there was no good way to anchor the battery well and it bounced a bit on the trailer. I am moving it to the center aft and have already drilled/filled/redrilled the holes for nice anchors to strap the thing down really well. Had to extend the 4 gauge 2 feet but no problem there. I'll post pics of that change when finished.
Looking forward to getting her back in the water.

Dougster

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Sat May 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Doug, the kiwi grip looks great! I really like the bright work too! 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sat May 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Doug, I agree the Kiwi looks really good!! Any trouble this time around with the application? Jeff

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sat May 27, 2017 3:27 pm

No trouble Jeff. For folks who haven't used it, it's the consistency of cream. I would slop a few blobs out with a big wooden spoon, then spread them roughly with a big wide brush, rake with a notched trowel, and roll in several directions with the provided roller. I'd work about a 3 foot sguare section at a time. No trouble keeping a wet edge. The whole job, including pulling the tape was 90 minutes. I wish all painting and cleanup (it's water based) was this easy.

Dougster

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sat May 27, 2017 3:29 pm

BTW, thanks for check in Richard. I'm following your build and envious about your upcoming Alaska trip. It's on my bucket list.

Dougster

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sat May 27, 2017 5:22 pm

Really nice looking skiff. They just look like a lot of fun.
I sure hope the kiwi grip works out for you this time.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Tue May 30, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks Fuzz, I feel pretty confident about the bond. It's "fingernail tough" for sure now after two days. I was just careless with a perfunctory sanding using only 220 grit I think. Since I was taking time to re-do the sole I decided to move the battery over to the center line instead of the port side. Better balance, looks better, and just makes more since. Of course the 12' cable run to the bow wasn't long enough but I'll show how I added the extension. Dunno how correct it is.

It wasn't anchored down on the port side, where I had it, and that's no good at all. So I tossed the cheapo plastic anchor ties that came with the battery box for these. They're good and through bolted. I'm trying to post pics from Photobucket but all of a sudden it won't work. It just comes up with links to photobucket on my post preview, not a real pic. I'll try later. Here's where I bought to tie downs for the battery:

Dang, the URL won't copy. Well, it's at Kennedytiedown.com
Then go to product overview

Says dang computer Dougster