Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by terrulian » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:48 am

Center of gravity is not so much of a problem, I've found, however, the higher the cart holds the boat, the deeper you have to immerse it to get the boat to float.

Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:42 am

Maybe COG is the wrong idea. Could be more of a height issue. Here's my explanation though.

The higher COG on a steep ramp increases the angle you have to "lean" the boat (think bow down) to rest. This actually makes the fore/aft position of the axle difficult as you have to balance the weight distribution carefully to make sure you can lift the bow but still have it heavy enough to not slide back down the ramp if you need to rest half way up (guess how I know this).

There is also a directed force issue. With the hull weight high you are pulling the weight "high". This reduces your ability to "lean into the pull". Once you add the ramp aspect that gets to be critical. You can address this a bit with the tongue which is how it's address for "big boats" (force applied as close as possible to the axle).

The other COG problem is a simple load/unload when not in the water. With the hull lower the "drop" off the trailer is much smaller that will make loading and unloading single handed a bit less ... adventuresome. If Lil Bit kills me, I'd rather it be "in" her than "under" her.

I'm sure part of my consideration of Dynamic is just a desire to stop building and start sailing...

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:52 am

Up until now I haven't used ramps. I roll the boat down the floats next to the ramp (assuming these exist) and launch it from there. The new design will hopefully allow using a ramp. Getting the boat on and off the cart is the most difficult part of getting her in the water.
You need to have a painter on the bow so the boat won't slide away from you. 8)
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:06 pm

The only ways to launch "rampless" if over a concrete wall, overhead carry on docks or a 1/2 mile (in the wrong direction) hike over rough terrain (1.2mi if I use surface roads). I think tha ramp is doable with the right cart. And if the ramp isn't doable then the cart will need to enable launching on rougher surroundings (mud, reeds, deep loose sand, root systems, etc).

I really think a home built cart or a modified cart could do it. I just haven't hit the right design yet. And worst case, I get one cart for home and one for ... I guess it's "other home" and can just move the hull.

I'm really interested in how your tongue works out.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Jaysen,
Here are photos of the cart. I've only tried it once with the tongue, which was just a bit too short to get the cart deep enough to float the boat but we got it in anyway. Since then I've added a six-foot pvc extension and when I get some photos of that in action I'll post them. If this is of any interest in your situation I can post a slightly more detailed look. The aluminum tube is captured by two stainless bolts with wing nuts clamping two boards together. The bolts don't go through the tube, so by loosening them you can slide the tube out without having to disassemble anything.
Tony

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Tony, that is a pretty slick setup! 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe
Currently building...PY12 Kayak and FS18 "Bare Bones"
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Elegant solution Tony. 8)
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:13 pm

Really cool Tony!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:07 am

I should have added that why one of the reasons I like Tony's dolly is the diameter of the wheels. The diameter of the wheels on my yacht tender is far to small, and they bog in sand or mud easily.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:46 am

Agreed. Big wheel == better. Tha ones in my home made are 14x2" and when it's working role really well. They are too narrow for sand and mud though. The dynamic dolly wheels are 16x4 and 18.5x8.5 depending on which ones you buy. That width is the key for me.

Tony, I like what you've got there. What's the angle in that ramp?