Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:27 pm

Me too! Between cart failures, stupid wind and seas (I do actually learn things) and some things I'm not yet ready to disclose, Lil Bit has been ... under utilized. I was hoping for a chance tomorrow but the wind forecast makes even me think twice. At least with Lil Bit.

I need to talk to the BBC sail guy and JM to figure out how I can make a reefing sprit rig. I know the hull can handle the weather but without reef points she's often a bit over powered with our highish winds and my lack of experience.

That last point is likely the bigger problem.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:32 am

Jason, any news on the sailing front? If not, you must be getting itchy! :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:15 am

I too have been waiting for the next instalment of Lil Bit adventures.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:03 am

Well... I've no good news. We did make a trip back to the house with plans to sail Sunday/Monday, but at the last minute things came up in the new place requiring us to cut the trip short. Lil Bit has been all alone wondering why she's been abandoned.

I have been scouring for shore access and launch here in Charleston. You'd think shore access was illegal! I'm not sure how this will work without a trailer and a vehicle to tow said trailer. Even bigger problem is that all the launches "right here" are "no parking". I have a few more places to look before I bushwhack access over a currently vacant area.

In all my looking around I did notice a distinct lack of sails in the area. Down near old town there are regular hoards of sails. Up here... I'll need to be very careful.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:34 am

Yes, your hiatus has not gone unnoticed.
I take these little excursions myself to find new areas to launch around here for my V10. I know all the ramps around here but I like to explore areas I haven't been to before.

This weekend I completed a modification to my dinghy cart, which is a 1 1/2" aluminum tube about 8' long that I have attached as a tongue. The hardest part of using the cart is getting the boat from the ground onto the cart without assistance. Theoretically, I should now be able to wheel her into the water and retrieve the cart without getting wet. Theoretically. I'll post pictures if and when this turns out to work.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:40 am

Got lil bit flipped for cleaning and inspection. A bit surprised at how fast she's showing wear. There are 5x layers of graphite over the whole thing. I did reduce the graphite content as I did the outer layers on the mistaken impression that it was the right thing to do.

This is the bow. 2x12oz cloth, 1x6oz biax and the graphite at this point. There is no evidence of glass rub through but the graphite is gone.

This is from the cradle and a few drags though mud/oysters. I'm a bit surprised how deep these are.

I know JM considers the skeg sacrificial. And I know it bears the full weight of the hull when dragged. I'm OK with this and am thinking that I may just need to "metal up" here.

This is where we start to go "wtf?!?"

The two corners are to the wood. 2x12oz, 5x6oz biax, 5layers graphite. And I'm at the wood already. The only thing I can think of is that the launch ramp is just killing these corners. I did check and the wear is in line with the plane to the skeg which makes me think this is just launch wear. Still... looks like I need to get Eric down here to sand this all back before i reglass those corners.

This is keel between dagger and skeg. Way more wear than expected. And these are deep. I get a few of them thanks to oysters while rowing. I'm just surprised at how deep most of them are.

And lastly... it's just powder on the surface. I think some of this is from getting her off the cradle and flipped, but the entire bottom is dusty. Even after a wash.

So do I need to sand this all off and start over? I know she's a work boat and to a large degree I don't care. I just want to make sure this level of wear is in the realm of "expected". The only part that "made me angry" are the rear corners being to the wood. The rest ... eh ... workboat.

Thoughts please.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:16 am

Your wear seems a little more severe than mine and I haven't really gone easy on her. But I was also surprised at the vulnerability of the graphite. I did put metal on the skeg because after one or two times out, it was clear this was necessary. I don't want to rebuild it no matter what Jacques says. Too lazy. The bronze strip is holding up well. Or is it brass.
The corners on my boat aren't as bad and if it's down to the wood it would concern me. I've actually been on quite a few adventures, too.
One thing I carry, although this is not useful if you've gone to another beach since you couldn't carry it aboard, is about a 5' by 5' carpet remnant. This allows me to skid the boat over rocky areas where the cart can't go. I'm heading out today to a difficult launch and some skinny water over pebbles. Last time someone helped me get my boat back up the bank but if there's no one there I'm not sure I can do it by myself. I guess we'll find out "out there" as Captain Ron would say. 8O :lol:
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Hmm. I guess I'll call this normal just make plans for regular recoating of the bottom. My long term solution will be better launch method using one of those crazy expensive dollies.

As far as dragging our slightly plump ladies over terrain here's what I've had to do.
1. Weight distribution gets moved to center (oarlocks and keel line)
2. Avoid urge to flirt bow. Just causes problems.
3. Make every effort to avoid p/s tipping. Kill the skeg.

I ran into this in mud. She moved best when her track looked like she just floated in. Any effort to tip/lift just added resistance. Later when hauling out into sand and concrete I tried the same method that worked in mud. Was much easier than previous efforts to muscle her into submission.

Your mileage may vary though. Have a great day on the water!

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Jaysen, I have zero experience with epoxy/aluminum but I would give that a go.
It's my understanding this is for abrasion resistance.

You don't need me for sanding..You're doing fine without me! 8O

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:28 pm

You know... the best sanding plan for me may just be "go fishing".

I've got a time of graphite left. I'll probably stick with that for the net couple rounds then look into options. More about using what I have than shooting for perfection.

One thought. Could the fairing compound beneath the graphite be the problem?