Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by terrulian » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:34 am

What's the angle in that ramp?
Dunno. I'd have to take a level and protractor to find out. It seems typical, though, as we launch our Catalina 22 here and at other ramps and have about the same experience. This page shows that the ideal ramp is 12-15% or 7-8.5 degrees.
http://marine.marsh-design.com/sites/de ... 20ramp.pdf

Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:18 am

I'll have to take my level and square out again, but I think this ramp is up in the 15deg+ range. It's much steeper than your standard roof. When I had the jeep I was regularly pulling guys up and out. Now they leave a come-a-long out for recovery. That's what is pushing me for a "how low can I go" approach to the cart.

I really like what you've got. I've got to see how I can get closer to that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:43 am

The steeper the ramp, the sooner the boat will float. If the pictured ramp had been steeper, I think I would have had no problem, even without the tongue extension I've added. And you won't need a 4x4 to get back up the ramp! :D
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:09 am

That assumes the water is at the end of the ramp! at 1/2 low the water is 100' over mud. I'll take some measures this weekend. hopefully I'll get those corners cleaned up too.

Bogieman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:43 am

Jaysen wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:09 am
This is a very nice build thread! Looks like she's lots of fun. Are you still planning to build another sailboat / have you decided on a model?

Bogie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:21 am

My plan is to stay married :)

Seriously though, right about the time Lil Bit was ready to teach me how to sail, life went all kinds of sideways on me. Right now the desired state is to go for a VG series or a"big boy" to live on. All depends on how much longer this sideways crap keeps going on...

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:32 am

terrulian wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Where this cart has a "tongue" in the center, off the two pads run PVC covered pipes instead. If at a steep bank/boat launch/ concrete shore line run the wheels deep enough into the water so you can line the boat up with the wheels like it was a trailer. Use the bow line to pull the boat over the wheels to the handle at the end. If you lay the handle down and stand on it the wheels make for a lesser angle than holding them up. Secure the bow line to the handle and pull the boat and wheel set out of the water at the same time. You can even put little "L" shaped boat guides that fold out to help make sure the boat is centered over the wheels. Use strap to pull the guides against the sides of the boat for holding the boat in place over rough surfaces.

By the way the cart wheels has thumb nuts on one side of each wheel's axle that you take off and the wheels fold flat against the frame.

The one I have I replaced the wheels with BMX 20" wheels and because I had to extend the mounts for the bigger wheels I angled the bottom of the wheels out more for stability. Haul three 16' 80 pound kayaks on mine. Rolls very easily over smooth surfaces, like pushing a bicycle.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:57 am

OrangeQuest:

I think I get what you're suggesting but actually I have no trouble locating the boat in the center of the cart when retrieving it. This system works great although the wheels are of course corroding. I keep the bearings packed, though, and they seem OK.
The worst thing that has happened was pretty comical. The tongue is just held on by clamping two slotted 2x4s together with wing nuts. One time I had not tightened these enough, and when I started to push the boat into the water from the cart, the cart was going with it and detaching itself from the tongue. This required the skipper getting a little wet.
However, much of the time I don't have anything as nice as a boat ramp to get into the water. The worst launches involve rocks, for which I use a carpet I take with me. Also difficult, oddly, are floats with ramps. I can get the boat down the ramp to the float, but getting it off and on the cart without assistance is awkward. It seems like I could figure this out but I haven't yet.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:05 pm

At this point, if I'm spending $$ on a cart, I'll just go with the Dynamic option. They are pricey, but accommodate all my possible "futures" for the next 3-4 years. Keep in mind I've not abandoned the idea of fixing my homebrew.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Those look great but I didn't want to spend that much. Also, the way I get my boat out of the van, it is not clear that I could work around the tongue. My tongue isn't always used, but when it is, I put it on after the boat is on the cart.
Tony