Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:48 am

Fuzz wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:52 am
Now about that bath before pictures............................................. :oops:
I’m kind of embarrassed by that. I’m my defense, it had been raining hard (2 days, 3” per day in less than 2 hours) and this was the only break I had. I barely got her covered before the sky opened up again. Next time the cover is off... hose hose hose your boat till she’s nice and purty! Load her on the cart and go get you some fishy!

OQ, push into water until she floats (I’m generally loaded with gear)(and rum) or until you choose to pull the hull off. If you look at the close up of the bow profile, you’ll see a tie down loop. There are two more, one at each wheel. If the hull falls off it will be due to dumb-a$$ery on my part. There’s a favorable over/under that she’ll fall off more than once.

You do bring up a good point... with those giant balloons on each side, will the trailer float before the boat does? And what about loading? Video of launch and recovery will be provided for the amusement of all.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:57 am

Looks really great. I'm interested on how you get it on the cart from the ground or a car, and also whether you're going to need a tongue extension on pain of getting your feet wet.
Does it break down easily, and if so, how small is it in its collapsed mode?
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:51 am

I will be getting wet. If you really want to stay dry you’d need their longer model (type 3?). Since we have bath water temps here I’ve never really cared about staying dry.

I’ll do a ground to cart test for you in a couple weeks. Hopefully on purpose. I’d hate to prove OQ right I’m the first week of use.

It breaks into 3 frame sections and 2 “dumb a$$ huge tires”. The frames aren’t as small as I’d like, but I get why it is the way it is. A couple is SS wing nuts and I could fix it. That said...

The sling/axle section is 48x16x3 inches.
The main tongue is 48x6x6 inches.
The extension/handle is 52x12x24 inches.
Tires stack into 18x18x20 inches.

This is assuming a container for shipping not practical storage. Moved the whole thing in the back of the with a seat folded down. It stores fairly flat with the exception of the handle. If you replace the forward handle fixture nylock nuts with wing nuts a 52x16x3 inch box would hold the whole thing (less tires).

With tires on its sub 90lbs. I’m guessing closer to 70. No scale here to check.

If you were to ask me “Jaysen, would this work for me to move my v10 including all the van stuff?” I’d answer an emphatic “Hell YES!”

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:53 am

Oh. Break down process.

Pinch double spring button and remove tongue/handle.
Spin two wing nuts and remove tongue from sling/axle.
Press spring button and remove wheel.
Press spring button and remove wheel.
Done.

Take less than 5 minutes including storage in rafters of shed. I seriously regret not buying this last year.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:11 am

Thanks for that info.
Getting wet isn't so much a matter of the cold as it is the amount of mud, here in some spots in SF Bay, that you'd be slopping into the boat when you stepped aboard. In addition, you'd be pretty grungy when returning to the van after launching/retrieving and you'd have to clean yourself up quite a bit or, in both cases, do some fairly serious cleanup afterwards of the car and boat. With my setup and extended tongue I can get the boat to float without getting my tootsies wet.
That said, the water here is in the low 50's.
The most difficult parts of my transport mostly involve getting the boat onto and off my cart. I didn't see where you described this process. I can do it but it's awkward. The other difficulty is that I modified my van to have a bed in the back so the boat has to be raised another 12" or so beyond the van's floor and put on top of that. That's doable but a bit of a hump. However, this could not be improved with a better cart.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:21 am

Muds a problem here. My approach is to shrug and hose off. But then may transport is the walk across the street which completely invalidates my approach for you :)

With the small wheel ground to cart would be simple. Lift bow and rotate. But my current plan should work with both small and large tires... I plan to literally push the cart under the boat.

Raise tongue and push sling under bow as far as possible.
Lower tongue and continue to push cart under boat.
Once I can’t push no more pull boat onto cart.

Based on yesterday’s experience I’m pretty confident that will work.

Do you load the v10 bow or transom first?

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:38 am

The cart has a couple of bunks rather than a sling, so if I picked it up by the bow it would be difficult to maintain a horizontal position, meaning the boat being flat, so pushing the cart underneath it and getting it centered would not be easy. That said, I haven't tried it. The cart has a kickstand so I set that, and then pick up the stern and pivot the boat on the bow as I maneuver it sideways and over the cart. This generally works eventually but it always is a bit clumsy and sometimes there are false starts.

One advantage of this cart's design over yours in my area is the narrow wheelbase. Some places I launch involve a parking lot with a path to the water that is guarded by vertical pipes meant to prevent cars from driving farther than the lot. Some of these are narrow enough so that the boat's beam barely clears.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:56 am

Yeah... the type 1 with “who needs these” tires is wiiiiiide. They might suggest a smaller version for the V10. The t1 was picked because I wanted a heavier frame for varying loaded boat as well as walking up to 3/4mi for launching. I could see where you’d have issues with the t1.

I started to lift the bow more because it’s lighter on Lil Bit. Rear is foam filled which adds a bit of weight. I don’t think there will be any real issues loading from ground. I’ll just have to get used to the sling vs bunks.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:25 pm

It's no problem with two people but I almost always row alone, since nobody likes me, and besides, the V10 is an excellent rowboat for 1 or 3 but not so much for 2.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:43 pm

Arrive next to Lil Bit at 12:38a. Got “honey do” (sound more like “get off you lazy back side and do your chores” when she’s saying it though) until 5:00p. Manufactured my tiller bracket from 3/16x1.5 flat bar aluminum.

Drilled 3/8” hole for rudder pivot bolt. Drilled 4 @ 25/64” holes for till mount. Hand cut 1/8x7x1.5” shoulder out of each side of tiller.

Here it is just sitting in place.

Pivot bolt sits in a 1/2” OD nylon bushing that will go in rudder. I have some 1/16” Plastic sheeting that I’ll use to make washers between rudder and bracket. I’ve got Marin epoxy curing on the shoulders as I type.

I’ll be danged if it doesn’t look like I’ll actually get a sail in by Monday!