Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:13 pm

Ok... down to business.

Got her washed down and loaded on her wheels. Tony, ground load is ... not impossible. But I need to figure it out better. Right now it's a mix of lift, push cart under, pull hull up. I'll try a few more times in the coming days

Got the sail out and rigged. Dang this is a pretty hull. Someone smart and detail oriented needs to build one near me so I can see one in all they sexy glory Jacques designed her to have!

And here's the "finished" tiller and bracket. Note that the swing stops due to the tiller contacting the rudder. Need to put something there to Lessing the impact ware. Also... I'm not Eric. Hand tools and a pencil are the extent of my metal working hardware. Feel free to point out the flaws. I'll just nod along and call the builder stupid.

And here's full hard port before the tiller is in the side. If I'm pushing that hard to tack then I'm already on my way to that corner to lose the sheet from the ring. Hard starboard is the same. I'm very happy with how the long tiller fits. I can sit between the mid and aft seats and have comfortable control. I still have another section if I ever need to extend it more.

Ok... next step... get her wet and try to see how many dock pilings I can hit!

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:11 am

You're on a roll. Looking good. Time to get wet. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:58 am

Tony, ground load is ... not impossible.
Not impossible for me, either, but always awkward unassisted. Your wheels are smaller in diameter than mine, so I have to raise the boat a bit higher.
Note that the swing stops due to the tiller contacting the rudder.
Don't know why that's a problem. You never need the tiller higher than that.
Tony

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:34 am

Jaysen wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:13 pm
Ok... down to business.

Got her washed down and loaded on her wheels. Tony, ground load is ... not impossible. But I need to figure it out better. Right now it's a mix of lift, push cart under, pull hull up. I'll try a few more times in the coming days

Could do what I do when I have to load the 16 foot kayaks on a cart by my self.
If you can pick up the stern of the boat then place the wheels beside the boat, somewhere near where the wheels should be. Pick up the stern and move it over the wheel to the strap. Walk to the front and grab the bow and the tongue of the dolly and move them together.

Could replace the strap with a pair of small bunkers till the boat is loaded and then put the strap on for transport.

Because the warehouse parking lot is cement I put the gas powered canoe on office chairs from the ground and can roll it to the trailer. Once at the trailer I winch it on and the chairs get pulled out as the weight goes onto the trailer. I have to move a lot of small boats by myself all the time. Should see how I take 10 80 pound kayaks off a trailer and never lift more than half the weight of the boats.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:45 am

terrulian wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:58 am
Tony, ground load is ... not impossible.
Not impossible for me, either, but always awkward unassisted. Your wheels are smaller in diameter than mine, so I have to raise the boat a bit higher.
I have the same dolly you use for your little boat but use it to haul 16' kayaks stacked on it. Went through 2 sets of the plastic wheels and then a set of steel wire spoked till I extended the wheels mounts for 20" BMX wheels. I also angled the wheels so as to have a wider base and more stable with taller loads. Only thing that sucks id lost the kick stand so takes 3 people to load boats, one has to hold the dolly upright. Just made another one like it but with 8" tires from Harbor Freight. Welded a bar diagonally from the front top bar across the axle and almost touches the ground. Keeps the dolly upright and when you pick up the front of the boat to haul the bar clears the ground enough to not hit anything. I have to do the same to the big dolly but bars on both sides.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 am

terrulian wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:58 am
Note that the swing stops due to the tiller contacting the rudder.
Don't know why that's a problem. You never need the tiller higher than that.
T, my comment was more of a “it stops so don’t tell me I need a strap” type thing. The math used to make it work like that gave google quite the workout.

As to the loading (you too OQ)...

The wheels are 16”. The sling upright is 20”. That’s lifting the hull 28” to side load. Strap sits 2” aft of oarlocks which is dang near perfect. But to do a full lift you basically have to get the hull at a 45. Not happening. So what I have been working out is pushing the strap into the bow just till it starts to lift. Then walking back to the bow, lifting it a few inches while pushing the axle beam under by foot. Once the hull and cart stay together unassisted I go back tot he tongue and push. Hull just slides on till about the front of the mid sit. I reach out and grab the breasthook and give it a tug and in she goes.

Remember that Lil Bit is a piggy. 150 just in the bare hull. Lots of extra glass and epoxy. I’ve a vested interest in not having to lift her any more than absolutely necessary.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:26 am

OQ,
My boat weighs 125, and Jaysen's 150. My guess is that what works for 80# is not going to be quite as easy when you add another 45. Also, another pertinent number to calculate is my age, which is 71. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D BTW, I still have my kickstand, which helps, except for those times I start pushing the boat without remembering to retract it. :doh:

Jaysen, I have to use the 45 degree stern lift. It's doable but a pain. One difference is that instead of a strap I have bunks. The front-loading method has not worked for me, but I tried it before I had fabricated a tongue for my cart, so perhaps I'll give it another go.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:36 am

I think the push/pull work for me with this cart because of the strap. It's almost like a roller in the sense that it allows the hull to slide really easy.

On to the next episode of ...

The Universe Hates Jaysen!!
Walked down to the ramp to check conditions. Perfect!
Get back to the house... wife says "there's water coming out of the toilet".

Guess what I'm doing that ISN'T sailing?

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:36 pm

Maybe both of could use one of these things. Attach one end to the bow and the other to the handle. get the bow started on the bunker/strap. Raise the handle pull slack out of rope lower handle, boat is pulled up a little and/or the wheels are pushed under the hull. Raise handle, pull up slack, lower handle. Very simple fulcrum and lever action and you just ratchet the boat on the dolly. I have some at work, tomorrow I will test to see if it will work with our work canoe.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tie-Down-Strap ... 04400.html

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:50 pm

Brilliant and cheap. I'm getting a couple.
But I don't think they'd work with my system as the first tube is light aluminum and the extension is merely a piece of pvc which will bend. In order for this to work for me I'd have to have a piece of pipe, which might possibly be worth it.
Tony