Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Fuzz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:20 am

What..................your camera break?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:25 am

How many pictures of epoxy drying do you want to see?

SWMBO looked at it and said, "did you really work in it today or just sit here and drink beer?" Glue should be hard by the time I drag my backside out of bed which means there will be visible change to show by lunch.

I'll even post some glue drying photos for you as well.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:22 am

Yes, the whole bow issue is something that is hard to comment on without some photos. Bring 'em on.
Also, I assume you've checked out all the other strings where builders building your boat or the V10 had creative solutions to the bow/mast partners arrangement?
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:45 am

I'll go get some pics and post them up before I start hacking away.

I did look through the builds. I really dislike the look of the partner when the rail is built up to meet it. I think if come up with a potential solution that will reduce my dislike while simultaneously not cutting the hull side of the rail down. I'll comment more On that when I post some pics in a few minutes.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:41 am

A couple of pre picture notes:
1. I know the rub rail is ugly. I'm ok with that. I learned a lot and would use a much better method next time (pinned/screwed through hull with all layers in one pass).
2. I never expected Lil Bit to be a beauty queen, but I still have some things I'd like to see a specific way. Much of it has to do with lines getting caught and ease of "hands on" handling of the hull off the water.
3. Some of the parts here are "planning" not "final". Don't get hung up on the front "deck' in particular.

The first picture is close to "what I want" excepting the fact that the outer later needs lots of build up and the round over/chamfer on the partners has not been done. Pic two shows a more realistic image of what will happen once I shape the rub rail to match the hull lines. I want a smooth transition up to the partner to prevent line snags while fishing and to prevent any surprise cuts while manhandling the hull into the water.

My plan is to use a flush trim bit to follow the hull panel (cnc kit cut) with the router base on the rub rail exterior surface (bearing on CNC cut part). This will angle the rail to match the hull lines in two dimensions in one pass. This pic shows how much will be removed and the final angle about midship. I'm ok with this area since that will provide oar clearance and will be smooth all the way to the mast partner. The angle here is a bit deceptive. Use the house or fence in the background to see the vertical and set the horizontal.

This is the sharp angle at the bow... this will take a LOT of build to meet the planned decking.

Heres a small, incomplete mock up of the decking using the unused front seat. The plan is to flat mount some 3/8" to prove a tie down area for crab traps and a shelter spot for things that might not like getting wet (12v batt, clothing, wood for cooking). Plan is to use dry bags and some straps (to the bottom of the deck) to keep things from banging around. I will put a layer of light glass over the partner and the deck to make it one piece and to protect it from some impacts.

This is the untrimmed area under that decking. That gap will expand to 3/4" once I trim it with the router. This seems like a lot of wasted epoxy/silica to fill all that back in. I'm not so worried about strength as I will be putting some 6oz biax to hold it down inside and out. I just seems silly to cut all the wood out to just fill it back in with epoxy. Add to that my desire to have a flush transition up to the mast partner and... There's a reason I'm scratching my head on this.

These are the only two actual photos of something getting done from yesterday. Photo 1 is fitting the lower partner. Photo two is showing the "test fitting" with proposed glue locations. If you noticed in the first two photos in this post, those sections are glued up, but the upper was never trimmed to length. I will trim it with a flush cut followed by round over once it is glued down. I did it that way to make sure I had a line that followed the hull as close as possible. I figured "what the heck, I'm going to flush cutting all this anyway..."

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:48 pm

Holy mother of biscuits and gravy!!! I win one!

So I set up some stops to keep me from screwing it up too bad.

Then we get to business.
1. NEVER EVER EVER skimp on your router bits. Is Freud the best? No, but they are pretty damn good.

2. Routers need to be a few things
a. well built
b. soft start
c. virtual indestructible.
d. manageable for the job.
Enter the much maligned 1.5hp porter cable. Perfect for this type of hand work

3. This will probably be the only time you see me wearing "safety gear". Why? Because I will be taking the chips straight to the face. Routers aren't to be trifled with when you are looking down on the spinning bit. Or ever really. While I find the router to be my favorite power tool it is also the one the scares me the most. Super easy to get into trouble especially when you have crap in your eyes and face. That said, everyone should wear safety gear as they see fit.

And then we hit the power button...

I stopped at the first stop on both sides. On port you work stern to bow, on starboard you go bow to stern. Wanted to make sure I could be "good" in both directions. I'm thrilled at the results. A few bumps and dips due to junk on the hull panel or me being slightly off on the awkward angle. Once I get done with lunch I'll do the mid frame to aft frame while I beat myself in the head on what I want to do with the bow.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:00 pm

I wrote the thing below before I saw the latest photos. I have that same router.
Looking good. If you take care to make sure that the surface the roller is contacting is pretty pristine, you'll have the best result. I presume you've done that. Otherwise there will be ripples.

Here's my previous response:

OK, two questions:
1) You say "light glass over the partner and the deck to make it one piece and to protect it from some impacts." Do you mean to fill that gap between the breasthook and the partners, which looks to be about 4" with light glass? I guess I don't follow.

2) I get that you want some kind of dry storage but as to the battery, you say you're just going to have tie-downs of some kind? Will the battery be in a box? I would think you would want a vertical panel behind the deck section forward (breast hook) to enclose this area, and then a hatch of some kind, even one you construct yourself. I don't know what size battery you're planning, but in a little boat like this it is not ideal to have a lot of weight right at the pointy end.

With regard to the gap you intend to fill between the partners and the gunwale, demonstrated with the square: Why not just take a bevel gauge and measure the angle, and then create a wedge with a table saw and stick it in the void with some thickened epoxy; then shape with the router or a rasp? What you're suggesting will work too but will use quite a bit more of the expensive stuff.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:17 pm

That seat is just a place holder. The final deck will span the gap entirely. That or I'll leave the gap and NO glass will span it. Want to sit in it a few times and see how hard it is to reach the pointy end (where dry bag with clothes and sleeping roll will be). The glass is just to protect the decking from traps and other gear being dropped/lashed there.

Battery will be a very small 12v lawn tractor type. Used to charge safety gear and run any 12v things that don't have built in battery. I don't want to put in a hatch/bulkhead as I'll need the open length. The "heavy stuff" will all be aft.

90% of the time there will be nothing under the deck. I only expect to stow stuff there if I'm going out on an overnight. I'm actually starting to question the sanity of the deck at all. A couple dry bags lashed to the mid seat would keep them out of any water that accumulates. My thought was that the deck would shed any spray ensuring dryness. The battery could be in a box taken off a motorcycle or even a real marine box attached to the aft frame. The downside to no foredeck is a lack of good stowage for crab traps. But that's less of an issue than it used to be...

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Whats with the weather worries? I thought the weather was always perfect in Florida :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:34 pm

In Florida it might be. But I'm in SC (CL area).

Less about weather than ocean swell spray. I can't get to any fishing without crossing areas that are open to the ocean. And, to admit my stupid, I plan to head out to the near shores stuff at some point (5-6mi). While I know Lil Bit isn't going to be slamming into 20' waves like do up there in the tundra zones, I still think it's prudent to plan some "protected" storage.

And to make sure I'm paid up in my life insurance.

And when the weather does get silly down here the rain goes sideways. And we give the wether names. Like Matthew. :P