Stitch and Glue Pedal Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Stitch and Glue Pedal Boat

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:46 pm

It was one of those things that was harder to figure out and get stated than it actually was to do.
Most things are :D That's very cool :!:

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

topwater

Post by topwater » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:52 am

Very cool project 8)
Novi 23 finally launched !

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:22 am

Score, picked up a few free "fixer upper" kids bikes off craigslist last night. 2 are bmx/dirt bike types that look like they might have smaller front sprockets than the one I have on the pedal boat now. Hopefully they are interchangeable so I can fit it up with a smaller front sprocket right away, I think that will probably work better.
Last edited by Fred in Wisc on Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:16 am

Alas, none of my free parts bikes had a smaller pedal sprocket. I'll keep moving ahead with the existing one.

Got the chain drive mechanism installed last night. I think it's going to work, but I have a few small adjustments to make after the initial test drive.

Guide pulley attachment to the frame is stone simple- 1/4" lag screws. Small issue- the smooth portion of the lag screw changes length with the overall length of the fastener. To get a long enough smooth portion for the pulleys to run on (threads would chew the center hole up fast) I had to get 3 1/2" lags. Those would have gone completely through the framing so I had to run a lag into the pilot holes on the boat, then pull it back out, cut the tip off with a bolt cutter, clean up the end threads with a benchtop disc sander and a fine triangle file, and reinstall. There is a nylon washer between the pulley and frame, then another nylon washer and a steel fender washer between the pulley and the bolt head.

Chain routing. This is shown from the bottom of the boat. to get the chain taut, I installed all the pulleys except the front one under the sprocket. Shortened the chains (it has 3 bike chains linked together) to fit pretty close, then located that pulley to take out the slack. Marked the center, drilled it and installed.

This is an area I think needs adjusting. The chain runs real close to the bottom of the hole in the crossmember. I'll move that pulley up about 1/4-3/8" after testing and painting to get a little more clearance.

Now for the problem- the chain runs pretty nicely through the pulleys EXCEPT where the master links join the chains. When those pass the pulleys, they don't fit down into the groove and you can feel a "bump" in the pedals. Those are wider than the others. So it looks like the pulleys all need to go back on the drill press lathe setup and get slightly wider grooves cut into them.

Cranked on it a while, the chain runs pretty true, doesn't want to hop off the sprockets. Once I fix the pulley groove widths it should be pretty smooth.

If the lag screws start to show bending under load, I'll upsize them to 5/16, just drill out the center holes in the pulleys. If required, that should be simple.

Those adjustments aren't too difficult, I'm calling the drive mechanism pretty much a success.

Now to figure out a steering mechanism. I think I'd prefer the rudder in back to minimize beaching damage, but that's going to require some linkages. Normally no problem, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how to make that work with controls easily accessible from all the different seat positions (the seat can move back and forth probably 18" or so) without time consuming setup and adjustment each time the seat is moved.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:59 am

I'm loving this thread. Engineering at its finest.
Tony

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:59 pm

I could not agree more!!! Jeff

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:31 pm

Well, Yankee redneck engineering at least.......

cape man

Post by cape man » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:59 pm

How about this? A cable that goes to the rudder and around the front of the boat and the captain can steer by moving it with their hands. You will need 4 good rollers again to keep it smooth. Depending on the peddler you also may need some hydraulics to move it against the current while on plane.

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:09 pm

Thanks, that's a great idea. I was pondering a rope system, but the handgrip part was eluding me. I was thinking loose rope like horse reins, or some kind of hand grip that could be repositioned, but your "long handgrips" idea is rather elegant. I think I'd add a pair of light bungee cords somewhere to pull the rudder back to center if pressure on the steering was released.

I think I have some semi-nice composite pulleys squirreled away that would probably work for that.

I'll think about that over the next few days, won't have time to work on the boat. Tonight is camping (at a county park) with my 3 year old and 2 young fellas about 8 and 11 that don't have a dad around (I see my job as taking them to do "guy stuff" that scares their Mom- and they've never gone camping before.) Then Saturday leaving for a 3 day/2 night kayaking campout down the Wisconsin river with 3 other dads and our daughters. So lots of sleeping in the tent and cooking on the campfire coming up.
Last edited by Fred in Wisc on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:37 pm

Sounds like great outings. Good on you for taking the boys for guy stuff.
...move it against the current while on plane.
Do we think this thing is going to plane? 8O
Tony