mat australia sk14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: mat australia sk14

Post by mataus » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:49 am

another one of my firsts was to use a router today.
use a round over bit on the transom scupper/hole and on the under side of the rub rail.
I was nervous as everyone says to be careful as it is easy to make a mistake, but it was pretty straight forward.

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:51 am

time for glass

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:59 am

I cut the glass to fit (and in half overlapping 10cm at keel). wet out the boat with a foam roller then laid the glass on and
used a squeegee(?) to wet out and move the epoxy around.

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:05 am

I then left it 1-2 hours. At this stage the leftover epoxy in a cup was solid, but i could push indents in it, and i still could leave a finger mark on the boat.
I mixed the last of my epoxy (back to the shop for more) and used a small amount of sanding filler to thicken and smeared it out very thin over the glass to fill the weave.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:18 pm

Really good update. It is nice to be able to fill the weave while it was still green. That was a smooth move :D

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:38 pm

Looks great!
I am just learning with a small router as well, and it is amazing how a complete idiot(myself) can make something look so nice so easily with it.
You said JM doesnt require the tapes on the seams? This boat just uses the cloth over everything? (its interesting to me which designs use taped seams and no cloth, cloth over all and no tape, tape + cloth but not up the sides, etc....)

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:23 am

I put tape on the outer seams. It's not for strength but for abrasion resistance. Lots of oyster beds were I am. :help:

Looking good!

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:32 pm

Thats is exactly why i did it too.
On the same note the epoxy company i am using doesn't have graphite as a additive.
I am looking into either adding it to the epoxy i have (doing a little trial first) or after a sand
getting some west which is available locally and i think does have a graphite as an additive option.
I assume different brands of epoxy will have a sufficient mechanic bond with one another?
or stop being pedantic .

I have started to think about names as well.
so far i have "handyman"- as when i first came up with the idea of building a boat my partner scoffed and said you're no handy man. That pretty much sealed the deal, I was doing it. I may save this for the next larger build. the next one was "bean about". as the build is small and i almost epoxied onto the boat a coffee stirrer early in the build. Also at $5-6 for a coffee locally i could fund the build on cutting or kicking my coffee addiction. "Done & Dusty"
is my current favourite as I am pretty sure thats how I will feel once I am finished. "Rome" as it was not built in a day. My mate said "more glass than class" which is probably true. Feel free to weigh in on what you think of the names.

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:58 am

Glass & Class

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:59 am

Rome... I like that word play.