FS14_LS - CSotelo - Brazil

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS14_LS - CSotelo - Brazil

Post by csotelo » Wed May 02, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks Fuzz, you did a great paint job. I´ll try to find something like Penetrol here

I´ll sand the boat to remove brush marks before paint again. Also will wait for a colder day...yesterday was about 27°and the paint was getting dry to fast.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Wed May 02, 2018 12:02 pm

I'd be cautious about adding Penetrol (they say it's a mix of natural oils) to two part polyurethane paint, try a test sample first. It's recommended for use with oil based or alkyd paint, primer, stain and varnish, Seaslug described using it with one part EasyPoxy, apparently they had no problems so it might work for you in your situation.
It will work in one part polyurethane varnish, I don't know how the two part finishes behave differently. If you can't get Penetrol there, you've added another point of question. I've used it and thought of it as similar to linseed oil, but they say it contains no linseed or fish oil.

It may be you can adjust your application method without going to an additive. Here's one bit of information from a page about applying Perfection: "The paint ideally needs to go on at 15-20" Deg C

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... ?docId=301
Hank

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo » Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks Hank, if I got something like Penetrol I´ll test it first, but we have limited supplies here.

I think the paint is different also, it´s data sheet is different from US and Europe.

Hot weather, open space, high humidity made things worse, but in some parts I could level the paint.

Some guys from auto body shop suggested to sand with 320, 400 and 600 before apply the last coat. After it sand with 1200 and buff if needed.

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Wed May 02, 2018 9:07 pm

I'm not familiar with the paint you're using, but I doubt that it will be compatible with Penetrol, which is an oil base meant to be used with 1 part paints. I think your biggest problem is painting in hot weather and direct sunlight. The paint just does not have enough time to flow out and flatten the brush strokes before it starts to cure. If there is any way you can have shade over the boat it will make a big difference in how easy it flows. You may also need to add more reducer than even what's recommended if you paint in the sun again. Having someone help so you can apply the paint faster might result in a better finish. When the boat is in the water , even a bad paint job is not that noticeable anyway. Good luck with your next attempt. Mike

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo » Wed May 02, 2018 9:53 pm

Thanks Mike, I'll do this way next time.

I'll wet sand it in next days.

The weather forecast for next weekend is below 20 degrees in the mornings. I have a place in the backyard with shades until 10am. I'll start as soon the sun rise.

I'll just do the sides and part of the bow, the rest will be under water. :D

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo » Fri May 04, 2018 1:30 pm

Hello,

Yesterday, 24h after painting, I was able to scratch the paint with my nails. So l left the boat in the sun for about 4 hours and now it´s really hard.

I started to wet sand the bow and sides and for my surprise is was able to remove all the mess I did before! It´s a PITA job but works like back magic!

I did 320, 360 and 400gr.

If I could lay a good coat of paint I think it´s done. :D

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri May 04, 2018 2:23 pm

looking good!! I have used the soapy water spray bottle trick a few times when working on repairing SUP boards. Seems to keep the sand paper from building up to fast.

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo » Fri May 04, 2018 3:33 pm

hum, I´ll add some soap, thanks for the hint!

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo » Mon May 07, 2018 7:00 pm

Hey guys,

I think I finished the wet sanding, at least I´m satisfied with the results.

I´m monitoring the weather and will take a time to have cool mornings here, the lowest temp after the dew dry is 23°.

Can I left the paint in the fridge overnight (about 5°) ?
Or put the reducer in the freezer and take I off before add it to paint?
Put the paint tray in a pan with ice water?

I`m thinking a way to keep paint wet, it will take less than 40 minutes to paint the sanded area.

Thanks!

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo » Fri May 18, 2018 11:27 am

Hello,

I got a new soft brush, put the paint tray in cold water, painted in shades in a 20° C morning. Fells like It laid almost as expected leaving small brush marks, I think I can live with them. :lol:

Cooler temp helped a lot.

By now I´ll flip the boat and continue the job.

In two month I expect cooler days and maybe I´ll do another coat.