Building a GV10...soon...

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
warmwaterbarrels
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Building a GV10...soon...

Post by warmwaterbarrels » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:50 am

Hi all, maybe I should call this the slowest starting build thread ever, but due to my circumstances I thought I would start a build thread now anyway just in case anyone was bored...

So, to anyone who doesn't yet know, I am building this GV10 to be the new tender on my 34ft cruising yacht "Eos II". I am in Fiji as have I been for the last 10 months and plan to undertake this build (my first) on the island of Falaga in the southern Lau group of Fiji. This will be a challenge as there is no electricity, (except solar enough to run a few lights and TVs about 2 kilometres from where I will build her), no shops that sell anything more than sugar, flour, rice etc. unless I sail for 2 days each way back to Suva, plus this will be my first build! I have used all of the materials before and believe I have thought through at least 85% of what I will need to do!

Anyway, all I have really done so far is bought the plans, a few cheap paint brushes, researched where I can get marine ply from, although I did have a big win yesterday when I found a distributor here where I can get epoxy for half the previous price I found, as well as epoxy primer and topcoat and microfibres to make glue (don't see wood flour around here so far). The micro fibres were a good price at $45 Fijian for a kilo (way more than I will need) and everything else was comparable to back home in Australia, so a great result really. (If anyone has reason not to use "Resene" products, please let me know now!)

It will most likely be another 3 or 4 months until I actually make the first cut, but by then I will be out of internet range and will need to put a few pics and story of how the build went when I get back in range, but I have enjoyed reading the stories of others' builds so thought "why not start now? maybe the thought of building on a small island will appeal to some..."

Cheers, Slade