Mike's SK14 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Mike's SK14 build

Post by seaslug » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Hey guys, I finally took a minute to figure out how to post pictures. Yippee!!! Even a dumb old carpenter can learn if you give him enough time. I started the build about a month ago and should be finished over the next 2 weeks depending on my work load. I made a few minor changes to the plan by raising the sheer 1" and lowering the stringers 5/8" and closing in the transom opening and having a drain plug set up. If the boat tends to ship water all the time that needs quick draining, I can cut the transom at that time. I'm not sure of the final weight, but a buddy and I pick it up and flip with no effort, so I'm thinking 125-150 lbs. It will be powered by a long shaft Merc 6hp, have a 36" grab bar, push pole holders made from a chunk of scrap Sycamore. I made rod holders for the port side, but will wait to run the boat before deciding if I'll use them. The boat was to be a father son project, but my son is too busy with school, and finals exams, plus a lack of enthusiasm
IMG_2214.JPG
IMG_2213.JPG
IMG_2210.JPG
on his part, so I decided to just crank it out and hope he's more excited about having a boat of his own, than maybe one day we'll build him a bigger one together.

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Still having a hard time, I hate computers. I was only able to include 3 pictures, so I'll try again.
Attachments
IMG_2266.JPG
IMG_2261.JPG
IMG_2242.JPG

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:00 pm

3 more
Attachments
IMG_2272.JPG
IMG_2270.JPG
IMG_2267.JPG

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:03 pm

3 more
Attachments
IMG_2293.JPG
IMG_2284.JPG
IMG_2280.JPG

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

3 more. Still don't know what the hell I'm doing, but at least I've posted a few pics.
Attachments
IMG_2305.JPG
IMG_2299.JPG
IMG_2298.JPG

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:43 am

Mike it might be a pain in the rump but you have made lots of people very happy by posting pictures. You do wonderful work and we learn a bunch from your builds. :D
Don't feel too bad about your helper. I thought my son would enjoy working on my dory but nope, could not drag him out to the shop with a team of mules.

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks Fuzz. It's hard enough to get adults to put down their cell phones for more than a minute a day, but all these young kids are so addicted to the technology, they can hardly think of doing anything else. I'm just hoping owning a little boat this summer will give him a little different experience, and a sense of responsibility and ownership running his own boat. We'll just have to see if it holds his interest. Either way I'm anxious to launch and give it a go myself.

topwater

Post by topwater » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:54 am

Mike after you get done with the router on the hatch gutters do you glass them :?:
Novi 23 finally launched !

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:07 am

Hey John, No, the gutter assemblies, which are made from 4x4 Cedar posts are epoxied a few coats, than primed and painted. The Cedar is very stable, without any warping, cracking, checking, or moving in any way, and takes epoxy really well. Where the deck meets gutter, the rounded over edge can be glassed, but I just brush a load of epoxy into the gutters and basically let it pool in the bottom of the gutter where it naturally flows anyway. A few heavy applications like that, letting the thickness build has worked great so far with no issues. And I wait until I have them finished epoxied before drilling the holes for the PVC drains, then epoxy the PVC elbows in place and fair around the edge. A bit time consuming, but I like the look, and they drain well. The hatch is also very light weight. I think a fairly large hatch when I weighed all the parts was 6-7 lbs.including hinges and latch.