HC12 England

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: HC12 England

Post by bigyellowtractor » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:00 am

Thanks Jeff.

Dougster, it feels pretty tough but only time will tell.

Narfi, I do too. I'm not sure how easy I can replicate it though; I stupidly didn't note what the mix was. I think the resin to filler ratio was around 3:1 with the filler being made up of approx 2:1 aluminium to graphite.

Browndog
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Browndog » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:48 am

Looks like a mini battleship! Very cool. Keep going, you are almost done.

bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigyellowtractor » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:09 pm

Following on from some discussions on the forum relating to how tippy some have found their Hiawatha Canoes, I decided early on in the build that I would not fit the seats until I was able to determine the ideal position for me.

I dry fitted the portage yoke and popped my HC12 on top of my Big Foot monster truck for a trip to a winding hole on my local canal.
IMG_7456.JPG

I had cut some firm foam blocks to make up a seat to the approximate height given on the drawing and also filled a container with water to simulate the weight of my Granddaughter.
IMG_7457.JPG
IMG_7458.JPG
IMG_7459.JPG
IMG_7460.JPG

The last canoe I paddled was a plastic barge; Coleman I think so I was expecting this little skinny boat to be a bit wobbly by comparison but I wasn't ready for how unstable it first feels.

With me at 90kg sat on the seat and a further 25kg in the forward seated position, the chine is submerged by approximately 1/2” but I was as wobbly as a wobbly thing standing on a wobbly spring. I leaned it gently to one side and although it didn't actually go over, it was quite easy to bring a little water over the rubrail so I'm sure I could have dunked myself without too much trouble. I dropped the seat to about the height of the chine and it was much better and with the seat removed and my arse in the puddle, it was pretty much solid-stable. So after some practice, I'm sure I'd be happy with the seat a little above the chine.

With some weight in the front, the given seat positions are about right but without the “small child”, trim was better if I moved a little further towards the middle. After messing about with my blocks, I think one seat as suggested on the plans and one around 6” nearer the middle should give me all load options, as because the boat is symmetrical, I can sit either end or kneel down if I like.

It does cut through the water really quite well and tracks nicely. I may try it with a kayak paddle just for fun; it is narrow enough and I reckon it will be a fast boat.
IMG_7461.JPG

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:43 am

Nice, congrats on the initial splash!! Jeff

Browndog
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Browndog » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:38 am

Good idea on testing the seat locations and heights. It is amazing how a few inches can make a big difference in both comfort and stability. Seats that are very high in relation to the gunnel make for a very tender ride.

In a small and light boat such as yours getting the weight distribution right contributes a great deal to satisfaction on the water.

Best wishes for continued success.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:25 pm

BYT very nice. Brings back a lot of fond memories fishing from a canoe as a kid.
You must have done a good job fairing looking at how things reflect off of the sides :D

bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigyellowtractor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:25 pm

Jeff wrote: Nice, congrats on the initial splash!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff

Browndog wrote: In a small and light boat such as yours getting the weight distribution right contributes a great deal to satisfaction on the water.
Very much so. I suspect that if I were a younger man, I'd forgo the seats and just kneel to paddle so I could shuffle about as needed.

Fuzz wrote: BYT very nice. Brings back a lot of fond memories fishing from a canoe as a kid.
I've never fished from a canoe but as a nipper, fished some pretty rough seas in inappropriate sized boats.
Fuzz wrote: You must have done a good job fairing looking at how things reflect off of the sides :D
I suspect that the low resolution camera along with some water on the boat is flattering my workmanship but I'll take the compliment anyway :-)

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:39 pm

I agree with fuzz. It looks very nice.
As for your experiments it looks like I might have got dumb lucky on my seat placement...... time will tell as I didn't test like you did.

bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigyellowtractor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks Narfi,

I suspect that your "dumb lucky" may have nothing to do with luck at all, but more to do with having a feel and eye for something based on years of experience doing general stuff.

Got the seats glued in tonight, might get a chance to do some neatening up and fillets tomorrow. I'm feeling that a won't need to glass the seats in place; being over 2" thick, I'm hoping that the surface area of glue and that they rest on the chine seam will be enough. Time will tell.

Next job is paint 8O

I am going to paint the whole thing one colour for the moment..............I think.

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:20 pm

bigyellowtractor wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:53 pm

I am going to paint the whole thing one colour for the moment..............I think.

If I take off my glasses and squint a little, it sort of looks like one color....... (colour for you :P)