FL12 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Boat Guy
New Poster
New Poster

FL12 Build

Post by Boat Guy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:58 pm

Hey all,

After picking up all the necessary supplies from Jeff, I have begun building the FL12. This will be my first boat build, as well as my first "project" in general. I struggle with affixing shelves to the wall, so this will be a learning experience. Here's what I've done so far:

Using a pipe to draw the curve of the bow.

Using butt blocks to join the long panels.

Long panels with the weights removed. I believe I used too much epoxy.

As it sits right now.

I spent yesterday cutting out all the pieces, but I made a slight mistake. When cutting out one of the seat tops, my measurements were off and I cut the panel about 1 inch too short. I have a scrap piece of plywood of the same thickness, so I'm thinking I could possibly join them together somehow and then sand it down to the desired measurement. I just don't know how to attach them. Should I just use the epoxy resin or should I use a piece of fiberglass tape? Any input would be appreciated. I've attached a picture of it below. I believe this was the "mid seat top".

Another question, I plan to install a small outboard so I will reinforce the transom with the 2 optional transom pieces. But how should I join these pieces together and at what point should I join them together?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FL12 Build

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Boat Guy, welcome to the Builders Forum and thank you for your purchase!!! You are off to a great start and moving quickly I must admit!! I will let some of our other builders or Jacques respond back to your questions!!! Look forward to watching your build!!! Thank you again, Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:41 am

Welcome boat Guy.
Not to worry, you are not the first nor the last person to make a slight boo-boo. The nice thing about this style of building is almost anything can be fixed. :D Coat the plywood and the ends with a little mixed epoxy and then make up a little glue with epoxy and wood flour. Not sure if this spot will have much strain on it but if so put a layer of glass on each side and you will be good to go.
If you are not sure about how strong this will be with just the glue take two scraps and glue them together for a test piece. I think you will be surprised. The test piece will also tell you just how strong the bond will be when you glue the pieces together before glassing.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:33 am

Glad to see your thread, welcome to the forum. It's like Fuz says, no big deal to fix, do just like he writes. As for boo boos, I'd say there are two kind of builders: ones that make mistakes and dang liars :D

Dougster

Boat Guy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Boat Guy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:03 pm

Fuzz - Thank you so much for your straightforward answer. Hopefully some epoxy glue will allow for an easy and strong solution to my mistake.

Doug - Good to know that I'm not alone here! I've never held a saw prior to this week so I'm trying not to be too hard on myself :)

I only worked on the boat for about an hour today, but managed to glue all the transom pieces together and fix the shape of the bow with some sanding. I can't wait until it actually starts looking like a boat.

Epoxy peanut butter transom sandwich.

Before

After

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:33 pm

Boat Guy, you continue to listen to these experienced boat builders, they will keep you on-track!!! Just Slow down, no reason to rush!! Nice work so far!! Jeff

Boat Guy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Boat Guy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Here we are. It's finally starting to look like a boat! I have fiberglassed the transom and expect to fiberglass the rest of the floor to the sides this weekend. I have 2 weeks off from work beginning on the 31st, so hopefully by mid-August we'll be in the water.

Boat Guy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Boat Guy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 pm

Finishing up with the interior this week. I managed to glass the floor/sides of the bow section tonight and plan to glass the 2 sides together at the bow tomorrow. I feel like I'm getting better at laying the fiberglass tape cleanly.

I will be flipping the boat over later this week to glass the bottom. I'm just not sure what to do with the outside seams, the instructions seem a little unclear. Do I fill the seams with epoxy glue and then round them out? Or do i Just go ahead and round them out without filling with epoxy glue?

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:00 am

Fill the gaps with whichever thick epoxy mixture you're working with, either epoxy and wood flour, or epoxy with one of the structural fillers, never a fairing filler. Gel Magic will probably work as long as it's thick enough to not run and sag, or you can add a thickener to it. Really doesn't make a difference which one you use as long as it's not a fairing non structural filler. It doesn't have to be pretty, because it all gets sanded and rounded over for glassing anyway. I think most guys prefer wood flour because it's least expensive and does a good job. Mike

Boat Guy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Boat Guy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:33 pm

Mike - Thanks a lot, you really cleared this up for me. I'll be using epoxy + wood flour to fill the gaps, seems simple enough.